Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would You Take him back to the GP?

(5 Posts)
ScaredTEECat Sun 23-Oct-11 17:21:51

Okay, before I give you the low down, let me just note that I live in Northern Ireland. This means that I don't have NHS Direct or Urgent Care Clinics. Let me also note that my son has already seen a GP, this past Thursday.

So the problem is that he has had diarrhoea for the last 8 days. As I said, he saw the GP on Thursday, or day 5 of it, and was told there was nothing they could do so long as he's not dehydrated, which he is not. He is eating fine and drinking loads.

But whether he eats normally or the BRAT diet it just goes through him and comes out mostly liquid with bits of solid. Poor boy is 2.4 and still in nappies and his bottom is just raw!

So, after being told there was nothing to and "better out than in" would you try to get him to a GP tomorrow?

ShowOfHands Sun 23-Oct-11 17:31:42

Is he still having milk or any dairy really?

mousyfledermaus Sun 23-Oct-11 17:37:25

don't try to worry too much.
you say he is well hydrated which is the most important thing.
unfortunately it can take a while to clear up.
in the meantime you can try to reduce dairy to only breastmilk or formula, maybe give a spoon full of life yoghurt each mealtime.

ScaredTEECat Sun 23-Oct-11 17:43:32

He is show because I took him off it and it made no difference!! He had no milk/dairy from around Sunday night to, I think it was, Tuesday night. Something like that. No change.

And I did tell the GP that as well, BTW.

ScaredTEECat Sun 23-Oct-11 17:45:05

Sorry, I got distracted, I meant to say last time he had D&V he was in the hospital due to throwing up blood, which was determined to be from a tear in his throat. I asked about taking him off dairy for that bout and the A&E pead said not to bother as it probably wouldn't make much difference. But I did try this time! And she was right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now