Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

diabetes and children

(7 Posts)
rainbowinthesky Sun 23-Oct-11 10:05:08

Hi
Can anyone tell me if you must have the symptoms of being thirsty and urinating lots in order, as a child, to have diabetes type 1?
Thanks

rainbowinthesky Sun 23-Oct-11 10:05:40

And would diabetes show up on a urine test for a UTI?

rainbowinthesky Sun 23-Oct-11 16:36:08

Bump

coffeekaren Sun 23-Oct-11 19:14:26

Hi Rainbowinthesky - saw your post and wanted to respond. Firstly - yes extreme thirst and contstant weeing are symptoms - can be very rapid (for us 9year old DS started weeing constantly and extreme hunger) over a period of 5 days we were on holiday and i thought a uti. Made appointment at doc and she tested wee (me thinking for uti - but wee also shows up high gloucose) she followed it up with a finger prick test and as his bs were 22mmol she imediately diagnoised diabetes (which I found odd as she was very certain) so we were sent to hospital immediatly. Other symptoms for us were weight loss - and tiredness. but weeing and thirst can be linked to other things - but from experience if you have doubts go to gp or a&e if very worried and if your dc has symptoms such as vomiting, pear drop smell on breath go to a&e immediatly etc - good luck! we are now 4 months getting there - and ds doing very well on injections (soon to go on a pump) and still very active, and back to usual self.

HidingInTheBathroom Sun 23-Oct-11 19:33:35

You have me worried my DD 20 month is always thirsty. She drinks and eats all day.

I am making a appointment tomorrow because she seems unwell. She has a very sore throat and it very congested has been all weekend but going to talk to docs about a possible diabetes test. Let me know how you get on.

coffeekaren Sun 23-Oct-11 19:45:20

Hiding - hope I did not contribute to worry. The hunger was linked to the fact that when gloucose is not absorbed and stays in the blood the body then starts to use up all other remining energy sources including any fat reserves (which for us was virtually nill) and so a cycle happens quickly need for high sugars/carbs = increase in blood gloucose etc.

Hunger by itself I do not think is a symptom - but I am fairly new to all of this. And the weeing is a result of the body wanting to get rid of the gloucose in the blood. Also the thirst was 'urgent' and he would drink liters of water at a time in the end. the other clues we had in hindsight but i did not pick up at the time was a very sticky floor by the toilet (he sometimes misses as our boys tend to do and i noticed the toildet floor on holiday very sticky) and also he had a couple of cuts on his back that just would not heal - i kept saying do not pick cuts and ds denied picking etc Hope it goes well and your dd gets better soon.

HidingInTheBathroom Sun 23-Oct-11 20:11:27

No a few people have said to get her tested because she is constantly thirsty and laugh saying that if I let her she would eat all day.

But this my be due to her having a another medical problem called a laryngeal cleft which is rare. She was on thickened fluids up until a few months back as she could not have thin liquid as it could get into her lungs. So because these drinks are normal and not thickend she might just like the taste better. And she may be just a little fatty with her food. But always better to be safe than sorry so going to the docs to discuss this.

Sorry for hijacking. Let me know how your DD gets on with the urine test. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now