Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Piriton for sleep

(8 Posts)
toomuchteaching Fri 21-Oct-11 13:50:06

My daughter is currently teething and is waking up to 11 times per night. I went to the GP to ask about whether I'm ok giving her Calpol every night and get her generally checked over, and he has suggested trying Piriton. She has never been a good sleeper, so whilst I am exhausted I did not ask for it!

It is licensed for under 1s for use with allergies (DD is 9 months) but not for its sedative effect, but he thinks we should try it for a few days to see if we can break the pattern (it's been like this for 3 weeks).

Any thoughts?

GuillotinedMaryLacey Fri 21-Oct-11 13:55:07

Ha! My 3yo DD has been on Piriton syrup for a week for an allergy. Got rid of the rash, fantastic. But she was the most hyper, stroppy, belligerent I have ever seen her. I wouldn't risk it, having seen my DD on it she could end up worse than she is now.

NotJustKangaskhan Fri 21-Oct-11 14:20:53

Piriton states in big letters on the inside leaflet that it can make children hyper. It only ever makes my daughter sleepy if she's already dozy herself.

thousandDenier Fri 21-Oct-11 14:23:33

Piriton had 2yo DS bouncing off his bedroom walls for about two hours when I tried it near bedtime.

rubyslippers Fri 21-Oct-11 14:24:10

Piriton makes my kids totally over stimulated

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 21-Oct-11 14:25:49

It makes my dd hyper as well. That and Medised, which she had when she had cjicken pox, send her absolutely up the wall. Don't try and use it as a sleep aid, not only may it not work, it's a terrible habit to get into.

mspotatochip Fri 21-Oct-11 16:08:01

Both my kids have been bad "teethers". I wouldn't advocate the piriton but I find nurofen works best through the sleeping hours as it seems to have a longer lasting pain relief effect. Did he check her ears? Both mine practically get an ear infection per tooth.

mspotatochip Fri 21-Oct-11 16:15:48

Both my kids have been bad "teethers". I wouldn't advocate the piriton but I find nurofen works best through the sleeping hours as it seems to have a longer lasting pain relief effect. Did he check her ears? Both mine practically get an ear infection per tooth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now