Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds has to have a filling...hangs head in parental shame

(6 Posts)
ggirl Thu 20-Oct-11 19:36:32

he is 9 , been brushing his own teeth most of the time for about 6-12mos

I thought I could trust him to brush his teeth and have tested his brushing with those discolouring tablets.

DD had her teeth coated at some time to protect, can't remember when exactly , she's 19 and had no fillings. Do they still do this ?

rubyslippers Thu 20-Oct-11 19:38:24

You can have fissure sealing

Just ask your dentist

My DS had a filling - weak teeth & poor brushing aren't a good combo

ggirl Thu 20-Oct-11 19:45:52

fissure sealing ..that's it
how old do they have that?

rubyslippers Thu 20-Oct-11 19:59:50

My DS is 5 and will be having it at his next appt

Grumpystiltskin Thu 20-Oct-11 20:04:23

To seal adult teeth, they can be done as soon as they have erupted enough to isolate from saliva (as that will stop them sticking to the tooth). A general rule is that if a child has had decay in their baby teeth, the adult teeth should be sealed as soon as possible. The first permanent molars erupt at about 6, children don't lose a tooth when they get these, they just grow behind so they are often missed & not brushed.

Don't feel bad! It's a good learning experience for him. Decay is more about diet than brushing really, that's not to say brushing isn't important but diet is a bit more important.

ggirl Thu 20-Oct-11 20:44:49

thanks -will askabout him getting them sealed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now