Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Earache, help please!

(6 Posts)
joguialax Thu 20-Oct-11 12:20:59

Dd (5 year old) has had earache since yesterday, she hasn't had cold or fever. Could you help me, what can I do apart from give calpol? do you know counter medicines? home remedies?
Thanks in advance.

RuthChan Thu 20-Oct-11 19:14:36

Calpol is the best thing you can give really.
Give her calpol as necessary for a couple of days.
With any luck it will clear up on its own.
If it doesn't, you might want to take her to the doctor, but the chances are he won't be able to do anything other than tell you to give her more calpol.
A few earaches are caused by bacteria, but more are viral infections causing pressure or swollen eardrums and you can only wait for them to clear up on their own.

DeWe Thu 20-Oct-11 21:33:54

Ibroprofin too.

Try a (wrapped) hot water bottle held next to the ear.
If it's still sore after 3-4 days then see the doctor. Or if the ear starts leaking in case the drum has perforated.

ShowOfHands Thu 20-Oct-11 21:36:05

Ibuprofen's good for inflammation.

And warm (not hot) olive oil syringed into the ear. The warmth helps and it loosens the wax and helps it disperse.

marianhalcombe Thu 20-Oct-11 21:37:03

I find ibuprofen/kids nurofen works better with earache.

joguialax Fri 21-Oct-11 13:31:56

Thank you very much for your comments. The 4 have been very useful.

RuthChan your comment let me more relaxed.
I gave her Nurofen last night and today before she went to school, when she returns home we will try with remedy of DeWe and ShowOfHands. Thank you very much for your help at 4 smile

Joguialax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now