Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cradle cap/rash

(4 Posts)
Bubblybint Wed 19-Oct-11 10:06:21

Hi there

I wonder whether anyone has any advice for treating the rash that sometimes comes with cradle cap (infant acne??)

I was told by my GP to try E45 on my baby's milkspots as they were multiplying and getting red. Not sure if it was a coincidence but the next morning he had full on cradle cap, dry skin like sandpaper and a bright red rash on his face, neck, chest and arms. The blotches on his neck are particularly large and angry.

I am using johnsons baby oil on his scalp as recommended by the same GP and oilatum on his face and body though it does not seem to be doing much. Bearing in mind he is likely to have sensitive skin does anyone have any suggestions especially to relieve the dry skin on his face and the neck blotches? The skin on his face is rough to touch and flaking. Feel so guilty for bringing this on the poor mite. Really don't trust GP anymore!

tigercametotea Wed 19-Oct-11 10:24:16

I used Dentinox cradle cap shampoo for all my DCs and it cleared up their cradle cap in about a week though I continued using the shampoo a further few weeks more as there's always a lot left over. As for the rash, hmm... my DD1 in particular didn't respond to anything and her rash came and went on its own accord. But I have to add that certain products seem to aggravate her rashes, eg E45 and Johnsons baby oil. Oilatum and Aveeno oatmeal cream was best. She had very bad rashes all over her face as a newborn which came after dad applied Johnsons baby lotion to it. She had very dry skin before that, was born with it.

CobOnTheCorn Wed 19-Oct-11 10:28:53

DS2 had something similar. I used olive oil on his cradle cap. I massaged it in day and night for a few days/week and then in the bath just gently rubbed it with a facecloth and it all came off.

I asked HV about the red pimples on his face ahd she said use E45 7 times a day!! I favoured a second opinion so I asked Dr (who is brilliant and I trust him completely) and he prescribed some Doublebase (but you can buy it over the counter) and suggested using it occasionally. He diagnosed it as baby acne and said it will go of it's own accord. The cream won't cure it but will relieve some of the dryness. I think I remember him saying it does sometimes get worse before it gets better. I think it probably lasted about 10 days.

Lucy88 Wed 19-Oct-11 10:43:59

My DS had cradle cap from birth up to about 3 months ago and he is 6! Tried all sorts of different treatments and nothing seemed to work - then I found TeeGel shampoo. What a godsend - sorted out within a week. Shampoo was very mild, just needed to do a bit of gentle massgaing and then a bit of a rub with a soft towel after. It doesn't leave the grease feel that olive oil leaves either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now