Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS having both legs put in casts and botox injections.

(4 Posts)
Lucy88 Tue 18-Oct-11 20:47:51

My son has short tendons in the back of his ankles/legs and walks on tip toes all the time. He has been under the hospital for this for the last 3 years (he is 6 now) and we have tried a number of thing including physio for the last 2.5 years. Nothing has made any difference, so the next step now is to stretch the tendons gradually (with the help of botox to relax the muscles)and attempt to break the habit of walking on tip toes.

Has anyone else got any experience of this and can tell me what to expect or has anyone else child had both legs in plaster casts (only up to his knees). I am wondering what to expect from a practical point of view. His Consultant says that he won't need a frame to walk and he will be able to walk ok, but I have lots of questions about stuff like him playing out in the playground at school, how to keep his casts dry, washing his hair without him getting his casts wet etc.

I am probably worrying about nothing, but as he will be in casts for 6-8 weeks, I am looking for lots of practical advice.

Thanks

CMOTdibbler Wed 19-Oct-11 10:28:46

I haven't got any experience with leg casts (but I did have botox in my arm yesterday), but from a practical point, you'll want two Limbos and a pair of Sealskinz socks, and then his casts will stay nice and dry.
I've been in plaster for 16 weeks in the last year, and my Limbo let me shower and have baths with no wet cast

forevermore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:52:49

Not the same age group. But I was in casts many moons ago (aged 15) for 3 months-both feet up to knees. I had old fashioned top and tail baths and ended up not needing crutches as found it easy to run around on casts. Washing hair. Get a face guard thing and lean over bath with hand held shower. Or wash hair with a soapy flannel - very effective.

Lucy88 Wed 19-Oct-11 16:45:58

Cheers CMOT - not heard of those - thanks for that.

Forevermore - what did you have on the bottom of your casts to enable you to walk around?. The hospital have said that they won't give him a frame, that he will be able to walk on his casts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now