Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS still hasn't discovered his willy. When should I get worried?

(15 Posts)
LaTristesse Mon 17-Oct-11 14:21:45

DS is only 19mo but I hear so many tales of little boys playing with their bits quite early on that I'm beginning to worry he's lacking somehow... Don't get me wrong I'm not looking forward to having to encourage his hands out of his pants all the time, but I guess if I'm honest I'm concerned he might turn out to be sexually ambivalent when he's older... (seems wrong to be thinking along those lines when he's still small, but it seems I have to have something to worry about...) So what do you think? Is it ok?

DeWe Mon 17-Oct-11 14:32:01

gringringrin
Ds discovered his round about potty training at 2yo. He used it as an excuse "my woolly doesn't want to" he would tell people. I didn't usually let on what he meant.
Now age 4 it's nice that he does usually choose to leave it in his pants, but he still thinks "my willy likes you" is a compliment. He's been strickly told not to use that one out of the house. grin
He definitely thinks his sisters have the poor option down there.

EdithWeston Mon 17-Oct-11 14:35:42

Is he still in nappies?

AMumInScotland Mon 17-Oct-11 14:37:19

The "hands down the pants all the time" phase is not compulsory. I'm sure plenty of little boys don't spend their time grabbing it.

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Mon 17-Oct-11 14:39:42

I don't think they really discover it if they're in nappies. Well mine never did. Now he's four, he sleeps with his hands down his PJs grin

Iggly Mon 17-Oct-11 14:42:38

Do you give him enough naked time? He can't discover it if it's locked away grin

PrettyCandles Mon 17-Oct-11 14:45:37

Just wait until he's toilet-training grin

ASuitableGirl Mon 17-Oct-11 14:46:08

DS never spent time fiddling with his willy (and appears to be a normal nearly 8 year old). I really wouldn't worry about your DS not fiddling smile

Thzumbazombiewitch Mon 17-Oct-11 14:47:33

My DS is 3.10 and has only just completely toilet-trained - he knows where his "wiwwy" is and how to point it to pee in the loo, but he's never been a big one for grabbing it all the time. He really only "got it" about 4 or 5 months ago, I'd say - when he started holding onto it while I was trying to get him into a clean nappy - but I'm not sure he has the full realisation of what fun it can be yet!
He does find it screamingly funny to leave the tip of his "wiwwy" outside the top of his pants when he's getting dressed though - I'm surprised it isn't uncomfortable but then I don't have one, so wouldn't know.

I'm awaiting the "hands down the pants" phase in some trepidation, but he might miss it! [hopeful]

ShowOfHands Mon 17-Oct-11 14:57:51

I'm not sure you mean ambivalence grin but give him time. It's not compulsory but he's got a whole lifetime to shake hands with his future best friend.

CBear6 Tue 18-Oct-11 18:36:56

DS is 26mo and has only just discovered his "diggle" but even then he's not bothered about it unless his nappy is off and he happens to catch sight of it - at which point he stands bow-legged, leans over as far as possible, and stares before straightening up, grinning proudly, and pronouncing it "my diggle!" grin He will also point out Daddy's diggle (and attempted to put a cardboard toilet roll tube on it while DH was using the loo), and that his sister has a "button" which is "yuck!", complete with disgusted face (I don't know where he got button and diggle from though).

Plenty of time for the obsession phase to begin, the later the better IMO as I've been shown up enough by him in Asda without adding diggles and buttons to the list of reasons why I can never go there again!

TheOriginalFAB Tue 18-Oct-11 18:39:18

DS1 didn't find his until he was 4....

malinois Tue 18-Oct-11 18:50:41

Blimey, DS has been like a bored monkey at the zoo since about 6mo hmm. I really wouldn't worry about it.

LaTristesse Tue 18-Oct-11 20:25:49

Thanks ladies, makes me feel much better! I wasn't keen for him to start soon, just to reassure myself he wouldn't suffer later in life. DH is very highly sexed whereas I am totally the opposite, and I was worrying DS was going to be like me. He may still be I guess, but at least this doesn't mean he's definitely going to be! Thanks again for the reassurance, and giggles, everyone! smile

RedHotPokers Tue 18-Oct-11 20:31:01

DS (2.8yo) didn't really notice his until he was about 2.
He's favourite thing now is to shout 'Bum Bum Poo Poo Willy Willy' when we are out in public blush.
<yeah, thanks DD>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now