Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

umbilical hernia

(4 Posts)
BeeMyBaby Mon 17-Oct-11 07:18:16

DD is 20 months old and still seems to have an umbilical hernia, we originally saw the doctor when she was about 2 weeks old as her umbilical cord hadn't healed properly and was still pink and raw, this fixed itself after a lot of steroid cream at about 8 weeks and I didn't think too much more about the hernia and didn't push the subject with the doctor. How old/ how long should I wait before going to see the doctor about her hernia again? I read that they often heal over by the time the child is one - hers obviously hasn't, should I approach the doctor now, or when she's two or three? I'm not sure how long a waiting list would be for this type of thing if surgery was required.

gothicangel Mon 17-Oct-11 11:14:00

my ds was born with a UH and it healed it self on its own, if your worried see your gp or hv and see what they say, at 20 months im sure ds was gone by then, xx

faverolles Mon 17-Oct-11 14:04:25

Two of my ds's had these, which went on their own. DN had one (about the size of a 10p peice) which was operated on when he was about 2. Iirc, the dr said that if it hadn't gone by 18 months, to go back to the dr as it would most likely need to be operated on.

BeeMyBaby Mon 17-Oct-11 22:37:08

thanks faverolles thats really helpful to know, and gothicangel thanks as well, I will make an appointment for her in a couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now