Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can teething cause "wet farts" in 6 year old? (may be TMI...)

(6 Posts)
BarnMummy Sun 16-Oct-11 20:15:45

In the last couple of weeks, DS1 (just 6) has had a few instances of a seeming "wet fart". He always has done several poos a day, and the pattern of these does not seem to have changed.

I had been wondering what had caused the problem (was wondering about encopresis, but this didn't seem to fit with the regular pooing) but we have just noticed his first adult tooth coming through and now I'm wondering if the problem is actually teething? I vaguely remember diarrhoea when his first teeth came in - does anyone know if this can happen when teething second time round?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 17-Oct-11 19:38:24

This has not happened with DD. Perhaps he's just picked up a bug at school.

PoptartPoptart Tue 18-Oct-11 20:57:39

I read your post yesterday but I didn't reply as I had no advice or experience of this. However, what a difference a day makes with kids eh?! DS is also just 6 and has several wobbly teeth and one adult tooth just coming through. This evening he has also done several wet farts which resulted in lots of changes of pants. He'd already had his daily morning poo (as he does every morning) and he seems fine and well in himself, so I don't think it is a bug or he is poorly. So maybe it is something connected with teething. Interested to see if anyone else has experienced this so am watching this thread closely!

BarnMummy Fri 21-Oct-11 19:12:49

Thanks for your message Poptart. How is your DS?

We still seem to be having the same problem, but I can't find anything about it so far - I think we might make an appointment with the doctor, as it is very distressing. I keep reassuring DS that it is clearly not his fault and nobody is going to blame him, but he still keeps apologising sad If I find out anything to explain it I'll post it here.

PoptartPoptart Sat 22-Oct-11 14:40:11

Hi BarnMummy, DS is ok now. it lasted just two days and he has not done any more since. I have no idea why or what it was. He was definitely not ill, so the teething is the only thing I can connect it to. Anyone I mention it to looks at me like I'm a bit crazy tho! Do let me know what the doctor says and hugs to your DS

BarnMummy Tue 25-Oct-11 22:53:02

Well after doing more reading and thinking and talking to DS, I realised that it could well be diet related. His diet has changed recently - he loves summer berries, so pretty much all puddings were fruit based through the summer. Now that the berries are out of season, he has been having more yoghurt type puddings, plus for some reason he has been asking for milk rather than fruit juice at breakfast time. As dairy stuff seems to be related to "bunging up", I thought we would try and reduce the dairy and up the fruit content and see what happened.

So, I got him drinking smoothies, cut back on the milk drinks, made sure he drinks plenty of water. It really does seem to have improved - a big dry poo on Saturday, which would suggest it was stuck for a while, and absolutely fine for the last couple of days. Am really hoping that this will work long term - I have read lots of distressing stories about children with encopresis, so have posted this partly in case any one else has this problem: it is definitely worth thinking about diet before assuming the worst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now