Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd1 has black eye and swollen face, do I need to do anything?

(8 Posts)
lisad123 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:24:21

She fell onto a wooden stump at school and hit her cheek bone. Teacher said he didn't think it would bruise and she only gaffes mark on Friday, yesterday she developed a bruise and then this morning it's swollen and she's got a black puffy eye. She did say her tooth hurt yesterday.

I'm assuming that we just have to wait for swelling to go down. She said it still hurts if you touch it. How likely is it she's broken anything?
She's 8 btw

Chocamochalatte Sun 16-Oct-11 08:26:29

I'd get her to A&E to be honest, sounds like she could have fractured her jaw bone...

whyme2 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:30:05

Just wondering if she is eating normally. In my experience my poor brother's a broken jaw or cheekbone is very painful and will stop you eating.

Is your dd feeling well?

I think if she was not feeling well, not eating then I would be wanting to get her face checked.
Also is she seeing things okay?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 16-Oct-11 08:32:57

Yes you should go to A&E not all maxillofacial injuries can be repaired well if not dealt with promptly.

lisad123 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:33:14

It's not stopping her eating, but complains it hurts to eat but not enough to stop her grin she is a very low pain barrier, and she's not crying about it.
Yes she can see ok.

lisad123 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:40:43

She says the pain is between side of nose and cheekbone rather than jaw.
Seriously hate A&E and what can they do for her? Not like they can cast her face wink

FanjoForTheMuahahammaries Sun 16-Oct-11 08:41:46

Do you have a walk in centre or minor injuries unit near?

whyme2 Sun 16-Oct-11 09:12:08

Well if there is a cracked bone there it can affect teeth and as your dd is 8 she will be growing her adult teeth. When my brother cracked his cheek and jaw he was lucky not to lose any teeth but he was a teenager at the time. He did lose about two stone in weight though.

tbh if she seems okay in herself I would leave it today and try your gp tomorrow if your are still worried. Sometimes the smallest of bumps come out in wonderful bruising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now