Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn with sticky eye?

(18 Posts)
dribbleface Sat 15-Oct-11 18:43:26

Hi,

DS2 is 11 days and today developed a sticky eye, a little red at times but not sore looking. Have read about using breastmilk to treat? Anyone tried this, how do you go about it? If not better monday will see GP or OOH tomorrow if very sore looking.

You think by now i would be used to this kind of thing wouldn't you, but hate to think it is sore.

Summerbird73 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:45:54

i have never heard of the breast milk thing but i was coming on to say just use pure cooled boiled water and cotton wool. DS occasionally gets sticky eye and it has always worked for him. Start at the inside corner of the eye and work out. Dont wipe it twice with the same bit IYSWIM.

Congratulations on your DS smile

Purplebuns Sat 15-Oct-11 18:46:47

Just squirt some BM in the eye a few times and see if it clears it up. My friend swears by it smile

PaschaTheSlasher Sat 15-Oct-11 18:47:00

I just aimed and squirted. it was all cleared up the next day. If it doesn't clear by Monday or the gunk turns green it's probably worth getting some cream though.

issynoko Sat 15-Oct-11 18:48:01

I was advised breast milk too. DD1 had a sticky eye caused by a blocked tear duct, until she was nearly 2 though, despite the breastmilk and everything else. Int he end we tried cranial osteopathy and it got better very fast - but whether it was the treatment or that she'd outgrown the blocked duct I have no idea!

Summerbird73 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:49:54

Really? hmm

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Sat 15-Oct-11 18:50:48

Yes BM is highly recommended for babies eye problems, give it a go over the weekend and go to the Drs on Mon if it's not any better.

teeschlurfenderdino Sat 15-Oct-11 18:51:15

worked for my ds!

Summerbird73 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:51:23

sorry that hmm was because it is something i have never heard of before and cannot imagine that you would put any kind of milk in ones eye.

BertieBotts Sat 15-Oct-11 18:51:58

Yes I used breastmilk to treat this. It works (really well, in fact) because it contains something which prevents the virus from adhering to the eye, or something. You can squirt directly into the eye or express into a small sterilised container and drip or syringe it in.

Same advice follows about cotton wool - wipe gently from the corner nearest the nose to the opposite corner, and only use each piece once.

I heard a story about a large family who used this method for all of them, the teenage son got conjunctivitis so came to ask his mum for some breastmilk for it, then seemed to realise what he'd asked and immediately panicked and said "Not directly from the breast though!" grin

bessie26 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:52:18

BM worked for us too!

BertieBotts Sat 15-Oct-11 18:52:53

Google it, summerbird. I can't remember the name of the thing but it does have something in it which cures conjunctivitis.

dribbleface Sat 15-Oct-11 18:54:12

Bertiebotts grin

Thanks all will give it a go, should be entertaining if nothing else!

Beamur Sat 15-Oct-11 18:54:19

Yup, I'd heard breastmilk too - it has natural antibiotics in it. A pharmacist also advised me to use dilute baby shampoo, but I really didn't like the idea of doing that (so didn't) - so have no idea if it works.

BertieBotts Sat 15-Oct-11 18:57:27

Shampoo? Ouch!

Breastmilk has healing properties on loads of things. It's quite surprising (and amazing!) I've also used it on burns, to clear a blocked nose, and heard about it being used on wasp stings and eczema too.

It is quite fun trying to squeeze it in their eye blush

GhoulieGussets Sat 15-Oct-11 19:03:46

BM is good for what I call "fanny eye". Think about it, the nipper is only 11 days old grin. My DS1 had "fanny eye" too.

FlyingPirates Sat 15-Oct-11 19:19:13

I used BM too, a couple of times. Works a treat smile

dribbleface Sun 16-Oct-11 09:33:02

well i never! much better today! thanks ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now