Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd's poo is burning her bottom...please advise!

(12 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Fri 14-Oct-11 20:45:34

dd is 2 and a bit, and this has happened before. I've always thought it was teething related, and she may well be teething now; there are other signs, and there is a molar that she has on one side that hasn't appeared on the other.

She does a poo which is of a slightly odd, bitty quality (sorry, tmi) and then her vulva, and her bum cheeks are so so inflamed; great red weals on them, and she screams as we try to wipe her.

I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced and if there might be another cause that I'm missing...food allergy, perhaps?

Any advice, opinions, welcome. Thanks

josephinebonaparte Fri 14-Oct-11 20:51:36

Has she been eating lots of fruit?

bamboobutton Fri 14-Oct-11 20:55:05

dd and ds get this if they eat too much stuff like weetabix or other wheaty cerial.

get some matanium(sp?) nappy rash cream, it works wonders.

gently wash her bum with your hand and water as wipes will irritate it even more

babycham42 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:57:24

I second Metanium - miracle stuff.

Is she in nappies?

If not is she wiping properly after a wee?

MrsJasonBourne Fri 14-Oct-11 21:23:00

My dd2 is exactly like this if she has eaten too much fruit. I could have written your post.

Fortunately she doesn't like fruit. It's as much as I can do to get her to eat fruit pots or sticks.

Metanium is the stuff though. Or failing that we found Savlon suited her, but not Sudocrem for some reason.

hth

mrsbabookaloo Fri 14-Oct-11 21:29:11

Thank you - this is really interesting. I wouldn't say she has eaten a lot of fruit - she doesn't eat much fruit - fruit puree on her breakfast and then apples and that's about it, and no more than usual lately. As for too much weetabix - yes, she eats a lot of weetabix, every day for breakfast and then sometimes after dinner too, but again, it doesn't normally bother her, and she hasn't had any more than usual I don't think.

She's still in nappies, but I think this is all the more reason to get on with the potty training, and then any toxic poo will fall in the loo, rather than going on her skin.

I'll look for some metanium - have been using sudocrem and had wondered if there was sthg else we should try.

Thanks so much.

smalltownshame Fri 14-Oct-11 21:33:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChippingIn Fri 14-Oct-11 21:33:38

Definitely the metanium (yellow box) and put it on at every nappy change... the stuff is amazing!

I know what you mean about her poo - that 'consistency' is very abrasive. All you can do is eliminate things out of her diet for a few days at a time and see if anything helps.

smalltownshame Fri 14-Oct-11 21:33:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mousyfledermaus Fri 14-Oct-11 21:37:26

still in nappies?
my dd sometimes has this as well.
we try to do:
change immediately after a wee or poo
don't use wipes (they sting)flannel and warm water or chamomile tea is best
let her run around with a bare bum
pour chamomile and fennel tea into the bathwater
metanium really helps and doesn't sting

mrsbabookaloo Fri 14-Oct-11 21:41:58

thank you. metanium and some bare bum time tomorrow!

ashtangini Sat 15-Oct-11 13:29:37

I love Weleda nappy cream. Even more than metatanium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now