Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

treating molluscum with zymaderm, question about what to expect

(4 Posts)
muslimah28 Fri 14-Oct-11 18:20:10

Hi

decided to start treating 17mo ds' molluscum contagiosum with zymaderm oil. its definitely helping, been doing it for about 3 weeks now. but in the last two days hes got two more molluscum, one on his penis and one on his waist. most of his molluscum were on his face, so this is unusual for it to be in these areas. also they appeared very suddenly and were very big straightaway with a black spot in the middle- all the others started out small then got bigger and also they had mostly had white spots in the middle, or at least had pin prick sized black spots, not these which are bigger black spots.

is it normal to get more molluscum during the treatment? and did anyone else get this experience of them being big straightaway

also are the ones on the genital areas painful as ds has sometimes been holding his nappy and crying sad sad

thanks

Seona1973 Sat 15-Oct-11 08:27:06

zymaderm didnt help dd's molluscum at all (olds ones didnt go away and new ones appeared). Are you sure the new spots are the same as the other ones as they dont sound typical of the way molluscum appear. I'd get them checked by a doctor.

GiganticusBottomus Sat 15-Oct-11 08:31:17

My DS had mollscum for a while about 2 yrs ago. His never had black spots on them (unless they have been scratched/have bled?) are you certain that is what it is? I know it looks awful but it will (almost overnight) just disappear eventually. DS didn't have any discomfort with his.

muslimah28 Sat 15-Oct-11 10:41:14

thank you for your replies, as yesterday evening progressed he kept getting more and more spots, and it turns out he has chicken pox!! (i think the black colour was the pox crusting over and because of the different pigmentation in that area)

am much more relieved as i want him to get chicken pox over and done with and also at least teh spot in his genitals won't last long like a molluscum.

it also explains why the spot was painful because molluscum isn't really supposed to be.

am going to put the zymaderm treatment on hold til this clears up

many thanks for replying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now