Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mouth full of ulcers and a DD who wont eat or drink much.

(13 Posts)
Twattingcuntybollocks Thu 13-Oct-11 09:30:32

DD1 is almost 4yo, she has a mouth full of ulcers and sore hands, I suspect hand, foot and mouth, she had it this time last year as well although not as bad as it is this time.

Her mouth is literally full of ulcers. It hurts her to eat anything including ice's pop's or ice cream. She wont take any fluids either. I have tried everything I can think off to get fluids into her. I am not so worried about her not eating, although there is nothing on her anyway so I can bet she will eat anything and lots of it once the mouth ulcers have gone.

I have tried soup (various kinds), and everything else I have in. I am getting a little bit worried now as her lips are starting to dry out, she looks drained and and pale. She says she is hungry and thirsty but still will not touch anything. The Dr gave us a prescription for a spray (difflam) to help. Although it is not helping her and she still wont eat or drink. DH and I have to 'tag-team' her to get the spray into her mouth. It is horrible and she is inconsolable. I am also giving her Paracetamol and Ibuprofen to help her.

I don't know what else to do!!
Should I take her back to the Dr's? I mean there is not really anything else our Dr can do is there. I have spray and pain meds for her so that is all the Dr will say I think.

Any advice will be fantastic.

TIA

Twattingcuntybollocks Thu 13-Oct-11 10:03:32

Bump x

jennys79 Thu 13-Oct-11 10:14:37

Just a quick reply as.......My daughter had hand foot and mouth disease a months ago - its horrible isn't it? If your DD is not taking fluids, I would definitely give the doctors a ring and explain the situation. You don't want her to become dehydrated.

Jenny

jennys79 Thu 13-Oct-11 10:17:14

OOps - my original msg didn't make sense. Meant to say "just a quick reply as am heading out the door now"....

nickschick Thu 13-Oct-11 10:18:28

I think you need the Dr she might need a drip,poor thing x <you and her>

Thingiebob Thu 13-Oct-11 10:24:24

Will she eat jelly?

I think you may have to talk to your doctor before she gets really dehydrated.

Let us know how you get on.

fastweb Thu 13-Oct-11 10:28:41

lollies.

We had this in the summer and DS was miserable. Ice lollies were the one thing that didn't hurt too much to consume.

Have a check in the chemist to see if you can get the wee on sticks that test for keytones (I think that is the right word in English) which can build up if she doesn't eat or drink. If she tests high I would get her to the doc pronto, becuase if she won't take anything in at all she could get very poorly. Although you might not be able to get them in the UK, so you might be better off just calling the doc stright off to see if he can suggest something that will rehydrate her, with all the salts, amd minerals stuff in it.

Poor little thing, it really is a rubbish illness to catch if you get a nasty case of it.

Twattingcuntybollocks Thu 13-Oct-11 10:42:41

Thank you.
I never thought of jelly, will go and get some made now.

She wont take lollies at all sad not even ice cream.

I have rang the surgery and the dr is going to call me back. I just don't want to take her out unless I really have to. If the dr is just going to tell me to give her paracetamol and ibuprofen then as I am already doing that it will be pointless to take her to see the dr IYSWIM.

fastweb Thu 13-Oct-11 10:49:05

do you think she might sip some gatorade, if chilled ?

My son is prone to ketone build up and the doc recommened that becuase the usual "instant improvement in the short term" standby, coke, is non starter in this house due to somebody's issues with bubbles.

Hopefully the jelly will do the trick, if not very cold gatorade that she can suck from a syringe (without the needle still attached I hasten to add, like the ones for feeding medcine to young babies) might be worth a try.

lesstalkmoreaction Thu 13-Oct-11 10:55:49

Has she been for a wee this morning, keep an eye on the output, I would start to be concerned if she hasn't had a wee during the whole day and then speak to the doctor at the end of the day. Try using straws to drink and just keep offering sips all day.

Twattingcuntybollocks Thu 13-Oct-11 11:16:35

She hasn't had a wee yet this morning sad
Dr rang and I am taking her in at 2pm.

I will get some lemonade for her, thank you everyone xx

Twattingcuntybollocks Thu 13-Oct-11 16:12:21

Hi all, we have just got back from the Dr's, DD doesn't have hand foot and mouth, she has strawberry tongue (never heard of it) and lots of mouth ulcers. Dr has given her some Daktarin and more nurofen.

On a positive note though the Jelly has worked and she is on her second bowl. I also bought her a cheap tea set and she chose a bottle of Dr Pepper and is currently drinking it out of her tea set. She looks better in herself for getting fluids in her TBH.

Thank you everyone smile

fastweb Thu 13-Oct-11 16:27:00

On a positive note though the Jelly has worked and she is on her second bowl

Oh brill.

Filing the jelly idea in my maternal toolbox for the next time we catch some awful lurgy.

Glad she is getting something down her, and you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now