Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

probiotic during antibiotic?

(7 Posts)
mangopudding Wed 12-Oct-11 15:03:08

Do you give probiotic during a course of antibiotic or after the course? What good probiotic would you recommend for children? Thanks.

ashtangini Wed 12-Oct-11 15:38:15

After. There are various brands available. Best to go to a reputable health food shop and ask for advice. Depends on the age of your child etc.

HappySeven Wed 12-Oct-11 17:01:53

I always have probiotic yoghurt during the course (not necessarily at the same time of day) as otherwise I get diarrhoea. My mum was told years ago by a GP to give my sister a spoonful everytime she had a spoon of medicine as she also suffered. I think all yoghurts were live then so it worked, I use probiotic yoghurt now as it does the job.

SomethingNewEveryDay Wed 12-Oct-11 23:29:26

I'd say during. When my mil was in hospital they were running a trial and probiotic was given during the course.

mangopudding Thu 13-Oct-11 08:39:22

Thanks for your replies. I always give my children a bottle of yakult during antibiotic but wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 13-Oct-11 08:49:39

I'd have said during and after. Its not going to do any harm so why not.

pist Sun 16-Oct-11 16:24:46

Agree, During and after. Antibiotics kill "friendly bacteria" too, so try to keep numbers up as best you can during the course, and then carry on for a bit after to make sure you are "restocked"

Also eat foods that probiotics like, to encourage them to multiply (bananas, onions and leeks are some, as far as I remeber - google prebiotics) There is a theory, that this is better than consuming probiotics, as many of the friendlies don't survive the stomach acid. I would do both, no harm in youghurt nor leeks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now