Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS just woken up in agony..

(7 Posts)
StranglyGiraffe Tue 11-Oct-11 22:06:03

He's 19 months & has just done his 7th poo of the day.
He never, ever poos at night. He hasn't got diarrhoea, but by this evening his bottom was bright red.
His poos are normal (Sorry if this is TMI!) so i'm not sure if he's got a bug or not? :S
Am i being completely stupid? Does anyone have any ideas? And any tips on how to change his nappy without causing him too much pain?

TIA!

Pishtushette Tue 11-Oct-11 22:20:49

I still use mainly cotton wool and water for DD who is 22 months. Her skin is very sensitive and most wipes apart from Sainbury`s Little Ones and new herbal ones I`ve just started using, make her skin red.

Calendula cream is also quite good, or Drapolene.

Pishtushette Tue 11-Oct-11 22:21:34

Also egg white on top of the cream at nappy change gives the skin a chance to heal without getting wet.

Grumpla Tue 11-Oct-11 22:23:46

Poor little dude!

I use Morhulin for my DS, it is caster oil based I think? Very effective anyway. In the meantime water instead of wipes might help. Has he eaten anything out of the ordinary? I wouldn't worry if not diarrhoea, probably just one of those things, but always a good idea to keep fluids up as this will keep him hydrated and help keep his poo soft.

Rikalaily Tue 11-Oct-11 22:27:58

Avoid baby wipes from the pack, they sting, even without a sore bum. You can get a bowl of warm water and soak the wipes in it for a bit and squeeze them out a few times. I use old fashioned zinc and castor oil as a barrier cream, metanium is fantastic for healing sore botties, bepanthen is good too.

Hope his bum is better soon, it's heartbreaking when they are in pain sad

Rikalaily Tue 11-Oct-11 22:28:32

Oh make sure he drinks loads too to dilute his wee more so it doesn't hurt as much sad

StranglyGiraffe Tue 11-Oct-11 23:32:22

Thank you for all of your replies! smile
I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious. He has been eating practically non stop these last few days, so that probably explains it!
Will definitely be going back to using cotton wool i think. I'm using Bepanthen atm, but have used metanium in the past, so might give that another try. Will also pop into Boots tomorrow and see if they have any of your other suggestions in stock.

Thanks again, it really is awful seeing him so upset sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now