Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could this be a UTI?

(8 Posts)
Mishy1234 Tue 11-Oct-11 11:25:37

Basically, DS (3.5) has suddenly started having accidents (pee) over the past few days. It's like he doesn't realise he needs to go until the very last minute, rushes to the loo and doesn't have time to get his trousers down etc. He's been toilet trained for over a ear and isn't prone to accidents.

I've asked him if he has any soreness when he pees and he said his legs are a bit sore, but apart from that nothing. Could this be a UTI? There's been no trauma or other issues I can think of which could have triggered it. He's had accidents at home and one yesterday at nursery.

Should I go to the GP?

PaschaTheSlasher Tue 11-Oct-11 11:27:10

its worth ruling out, at least. UTIs in boys are nasty things to have if they're not cleared up quickly. The doc will ask for a urine sample which will easily tell you one way or the other.

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 11-Oct-11 11:28:26

It could also be balinitis.

Definitely worth getting this checked/ruled out by the GP.

Mishy1234 Tue 11-Oct-11 11:29:41

ok, thanks Pascha, I'll make an appointment. It's just so out of character for him to have accidents, but he doesn't have any of the other symptoms. Best to get it checked out though, like you say.

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 11-Oct-11 11:31:38

Sorry, spelt that wrong. It should be Balanitis

I know, reading this link, it doesn't sound like what you are describing, but I have a friend whose son had the same symptoms as yours, at about the same age, and he turned out to have balanitis.

Mishy1234 Tue 11-Oct-11 11:31:52

balinitis- that's a possibility too, thanks Dumbledoresgirl.

DeWe Tue 11-Oct-11 13:10:22

Ds had a week of night wetting when he hadn't for a year. He had an infection of the foreskin. Canisten cleared it up.

The Dr. said that any child who starts wetting night or day when they've been dry needs to be seen.

Mishy1234 Tue 11-Oct-11 13:11:01

Just an update. Have spoken to the duty dr and sending in 2 samples (1 for the lab and 1 for testing at the surgery). An appt booked too in case it's something else.

Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now