Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Omega fish oil

(6 Posts)
GreatGooglyMoogly Mon 10-Oct-11 12:59:02

I am thinking of getting some Omega fish oil for DS1 (7) but wondered what form it comes in and how to get him to take it? TIA.

linspins Mon 10-Oct-11 19:20:53

If you are thinking about something like EyeQ then I have experience of this. We tried the EyeQ smooth first which comes in little sachets like those squeezy yogurts Frubes. They are supposed to be least strong tasting and a bit tropical. DD absolutely hated it and when I tasted it I don't blame her, because fish oil is a difficult taste to mask. So we tried the liquid in a bottle - WORSE!! Anything I mixed it with just tasted like slimy grim fish oil. So posted here on Mumsnet and was given good advice:
Still use the 'EyeQ smooth' sachets, but mix with liquidised fruit, and drink from a small shot glass. Bingo. So we bought frozen raspberries from Sainsbury's (3 bags for a fiver but worth it) and liquidised some from almost frozen. I used to do two days worth at one time, and then save one lot for the next day to save faffing. Mix it in the glass with one or two sachets, depending on how long you are on it for.
You can try buying smoothies too, but I found them not quite strong enough to disguise the taste.
Eventually she was so used to the taste that now she drinks hers straight from the sachet, (then has a multi vit chew after!)
One other tip from Musnet: if your child is old enough, you can get capsules that they swallow in one go, avoiding all this palaver. Although apparently there is more after taste later in the day from these...
Good luck.
xx

The capsules do repeat on you later, I bought some for the DCs who wouldn't touch them with a bargepole so used them myself. My DS takes the lemon flavour liquid from the spoon ok, he is 7. The vanilla flavour one is beyond vile IMO.

almondfinger Mon 10-Oct-11 22:38:31

Eskimo kids from Nutri, you can get it in tutti frutti or orange flavour. Both my dd's line up and fight over who is going to be first to get a spoon.

crazycarol Sat 15-Oct-11 22:56:59

Some of the capsules are better than others. I have given them to dd for the last 3 years and noticed a big improvement in her concentration. However she has refused some of the "cheaper" ones, and will readily take bassetts blackcurrant ones that cost a fortune!

GreatGooglyMoogly Mon 17-Oct-11 14:14:43

Thanks, I'll have a look for Eskimo Kids and Bassetts as they sound most likely to be acceptable to the DC smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now