Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fattening up a thin 7 yr old

(20 Posts)
Proon Mon 10-Oct-11 06:52:15

Noticed ds has lost weight recently (think it happens every autumn tbh) and want to put a bit of weight on him.

What would you do? Cream in the mashed potatoes? Puddings? (We don't usually.)

We, his parents, definitely don't need to put on weight, so it has to be things we can add to his food iyswim.

josephinebonaparte Mon 10-Oct-11 07:08:54

Watching with interest

shushpenfold Mon 10-Oct-11 07:13:45

Honestly - do you need to? My opinion (only that - not medical) is that children tend to be the shape that they are - as long as you're feeding them healthy and nutritious food (with enough fats...they need more than us) they will be fine. My dcs are tall and skinny, mid height and muscly/stocky and tall and skinny in turn...they haven't always been like this and their shape has changed as time has gone on.

Proon Mon 10-Oct-11 07:20:30

I can see his sternum sad Properly, not just when he breathes in.
He is the thinnest he's ever been. He's perfectly healthy, I think, but he is going to freeze and lose more weight once winter sets in.

Proon Mon 10-Oct-11 07:21:10

I was a skinny child too, btw - so I know people are the shape they are.

Bubbaluv Mon 10-Oct-11 07:22:12

So long as he's getting a well balanced healthy diet then there's no need to change anything.
Is he really losing weight or is he growing taller and so appearing leaner?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Mon 10-Oct-11 07:22:25

Put more clothes on him.
My DD was a stick insect around that age. She has put a bit more weight on, but not much.
When she is going to get a growth spurt, she gets a bit porkey around the middle then shoots up to be a bean pole.
If you are worried, take him to the doctor.

Bubbaluv Mon 10-Oct-11 07:23:02

How old is he?

Bubbaluv Mon 10-Oct-11 07:24:18

Oh woops - 7. I see.

Proon Mon 10-Oct-11 07:24:51

grin

Proon Mon 10-Oct-11 07:27:34

I think what is causing it is a wee growth spurt, and the cold (possibly).
He eats a balanced diet.
I'm aware we have been trying to eat less unhealthily because we're overweight.
I want to add some things to his food so he gets a few extra calories as it's only going to get colder.

Chandon Mon 10-Oct-11 07:31:05

I have an 8 year old who is 2nd centile for weight for his age/hight. If he is sick, de drops to underweight.

He is happy and well, but gets horribly cold in winter.

I bought him a very good winter coat and he has the warmest room (over the kitchen).

as to fattening up, I WANT to but I know it doesn't work. I do give him a slice of bread and butter and a glass of milk before bed, but can't see it makes a difference!

Anyway, oats are great and good quality protein (fish, steak). supposedly.

inmysparetime Mon 10-Oct-11 07:40:41

My tiny 10yo DS has had a growth spurt (finally into age 7 clothes) so he looks like a skeleton, his pelvis bones stick out at the backsad.
He has a milk allergy so most high fat foods are out, we give him lots of homous etc. to get fat into him, but he's so active he burns it all off.

bumbleymummy Mon 10-Oct-11 12:12:46

Houmous, avocados, peanut butter are all good sources of 'good fats' if you want to just try to include them as little snacks throughout the day but I'm with others - if he's healthy, eating well, has plenty of energy and the doctors aren't concerned then I would just let him be smile

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 10-Oct-11 12:18:35

In general 7yo are supposed to be thin (you should certainly be able to see their ribs) and in particular you say this happens to him every year so it seems to be his normal growth pattern.

Give him nuts or hummous as a snack if you really must interfere, but in general just put an extra jumper on him and make sure he has a good breakfast before heading out in the morning.

Proon Mon 10-Oct-11 12:22:24

Ok, thanks for the advice, I will not worry too much but I will still put cream in his mashed potato smile

bumbleymummy Mon 10-Oct-11 18:59:39

Well cream in mashed potato is yummy so it sounds good to me! smile

Chandon Mon 10-Oct-11 19:34:24

yeah, well I always put butter and full fat milk into my boys' mash.

...so now they non longer like mash at school or at other people's housesblush

KatyMac Mon 10-Oct-11 19:38:21

DD has started having porridge in the morning with fresh (frozen) fruit - blueberries/raspberries/blackberries with the top of the milk & a bit of brown sugar there probably is't a better start for the day

I am also adding to DD's diet (due to excessive exercise rather than size) and have added nuts, dried fruit & seeds plus a 4th meal each day

lucyspangle Mon 10-Oct-11 19:47:38

Butter and mayo on sandwiches
Cream/butter or olive oil through veg
Good quality ice cream
Grated cheese on top of pasta
Houmous or cream cheese as adipping snack
Greek yogurt with honey

My DS remains skinny though but all the above add extra calories without bulking out their plates IYKWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now