Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 week old DD has a cold and a rash

(7 Posts)
pookamoo Sun 09-Oct-11 21:03:33

I seem to remember with DD1 the doctor said babies often get a rash with the cold virus. Should I take her to GP tomorrow? I know there is nothing for a cold.

Have done the glass test btw and is fine. She is otherwise normal, just snuffly.

Thanks

pookamoo Sun 09-Oct-11 21:27:16

bump?

Iggly Sun 09-Oct-11 21:30:23

Where's the rash? What sortof rash?

DS gets a rash with a bad cold - not everytime. It's usually red small pimply across his tummy.

It's worth keeping an eye on her - breathing, temperature, cold hands or feet etc. I'd take her in tomorrow just in case but mainly because she's so young.

pookamoo Sun 09-Oct-11 21:36:10

Thanks Iggly.

Pinprick type rash over her head, neck and back. Not so much over her tummy.

She does seem ok otherwise, alert and not got cold hands or feet, although she does seem quite sweaty - it's so hard to tell with little ones. I'll call the surgery in the morning.

mousyfledermaus Sun 09-Oct-11 21:39:14

if she is otherwise well (feeding well, wet/soiled nappies, not too whiney) I wouldn't bother with the gp. but if you are in any way concerned or she is getting worse they will be happy to see her.
where is the rash? on her tummy? might be baby measles (5day fever).

Iggly Sun 09-Oct-11 21:51:29

Also worth checking her in the night (although I assume she wakes up anyway?). It's worth asking the GP about meningitis (which is the thing I worry about!) - just so you know for future what to look out for as the rash is one of the later signs. However if she seems ok then sounds like just a virus. Horrible time of year for that sort of thing!!

pookamoo Sun 09-Oct-11 22:06:13

Thanks - she'll be up in the night, I'm sure! Yes meningitis is always the first thing that springs to mind.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now