Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

12 week old viral chest infection

(7 Posts)
prolificwillybreeder Sun 09-Oct-11 10:33:18

ds2 was diagnosed with a viral chest infection coming up for 2 weeks ago. He had the cough prior to this for 2 weeks. So 4 weeks, he still has horrid cough.
I realise as it's viral antibiotics would not cure it.
I'm worried about him, he's only 12 weeks.
The doctor said he seemed to be torelating the virus. I just don't know how much longer this will go on before he is better.
He has no other symptoms other than the cough. It's a daytime and night time cough. His breathing seems fine and he is feeding well.

Do I go back? He doesnt seem to be much better but he isn't getting any worse.

Sorry, I just need some support.

Sirzy Sun 09-Oct-11 16:14:09

If his breathing seems ok I wouldn't be to worried. However, if you are concerned going back to get him checked won't do any harm.

Problem is things like this there isn't a great deal that can be done other than letting them run their course and monitoring them

sassie23 Sun 09-Oct-11 19:30:53

Oh it's so hard listening to them cough day and night poor thing and you must be exhausted. Yes if it's viral not much can be done really suppose all you can do is try to ease symptoms. Our DS both seem helped by a vaporiser in their room or menthol rub. DS 2 is coughing again bout 3rd one since summer and I've just read that buckwheat honey is better at soothing their throats than any cough syrup HTH

prolificwillybreeder Sun 09-Oct-11 20:19:00

Buckwheat honey. I shall go and investigate. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words.
I'm using a saline nasal spray and I've just got some snufflebabe to give him.

I think I'll keep going, monitoring the situation. Bless him he's so small I hate watching him hack away.

Sirzy Sun 09-Oct-11 20:27:33

When he is sleeping keep the head of his moses basket/cot propped up to

prolificwillybreeder Sun 09-Oct-11 22:49:55

Done, he sleeps on a cot wedge memory foam thingy bob anyhow. Thank you though.

sassie23 Mon 10-Oct-11 11:14:32

Just remembered honey not recommended fir under 1 year soz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now