Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Slapped cheek disease

(4 Posts)
Greedygirl Sun 09-Oct-11 08:52:52

My DS has woken up with very hot, red cheeks and it sounds like slapped cheek disease to me (although he didn't particularly seem "off" last week which is usually the first sign I think). Otherwise he is totally fine in himself and not feeling sick but not hungry either. I wonder if anyone else has found that their DC don't particularly seem unwell when they have this and also is he infectious if I want to go out and about today?

Thanks!

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sun 09-Oct-11 19:47:17

Doc thought dd had this, she didn't she had hand foot and mouth, but he explained that it is dangerous to pregnant women (was pregnant with dd2 at the time).

I think you should get it properly diagnosed just in case.

whenwillisleepagain Sun 09-Oct-11 19:59:38

am racking my brains for what happened when DS had this when he was about 2. I remember (agreeing with TNMBB) having to do an email round the office in case anyone was pregnant. And that I had to take quite a few days off work as nursery, understandably, have exclusions for children with slapped cheek. Also that our GP saw DS twice before he diagnosed it, because it didn't look like typical slapped cheek to start with. So yes, best to get it confirmed I think.

Greedygirl Sun 09-Oct-11 21:20:59

Thanks guys. I think it was just a temp in the end and his cheeks were glowing because of it! He regained his appetite and was soon driving me mad back to his normal self again. I had read about the danger to pregnant women and was worried because of that. I will see how he is tomorrow. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now