Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about DS mental health - What do I say to the GP?

(33 Posts)
TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 20:11:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 20:38:31

DialMforMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 20:50:05

I can understand why you are worried. Do you have any idea where the source of the his anxiety comes from? Can you refer him to CAHMS via school? Otherwise, I'd make an appointment with a child psychologist asap.

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 21:02:40

DialMforMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 21:18:37

Could he be bullied? Has he got any friends?
Do you have a SENCO at school who might be able to give you advice for a CP?
Otherwise is there a professional body of psychologists that might be able to provide you with a list of CP in your area?

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 21:22:40

DialMforMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 21:30:46

Talking to your SENCO sounds like a good idea.
Otherwise, I found this link:
http://www.hpcheck.org/who-we-regulate/practitioner-psychologists/

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 21:38:48

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Oct-11 21:50:35

did this all start when he started school?

he sounds a lot like my 6 yr old who is undergoing assessment right now for aspergers/hfa

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 21:56:48

Tiggles Sat 08-Oct-11 22:12:04

I went to my GP because my DS was suffering from anxiety, he did look at me slightly hmm to start with, but I then explained some examples of his anxiety - panic attacks that his Christmas present wouldn't be what he expected, holes chewed in his pyjamas as he had pe in school the next day etc etc. Anyhow, he immediately said "Ok, that doesn't sound right" and referred us to the child anxiety team. I think the waiting list in our area was about 3-4months at the time.

3littlefrogs Sat 08-Oct-11 22:18:41

TBH, I think it must be quite stressful and confusing for a 6 year old to have his mum as his teacher.

I would think it might also provoke much comment among his class mates.

As you say - you have two roles in this situation, and you feel quite lost. That can't be easy for either of you to cope with.

Just a thought.

But I agree, you must get professional help asap - he sounds very distressed.

I hope your GP can get you some help.

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 22:26:13

DialMforMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 22:35:33

IME (am a teacher too) anxiety triggered by a change of routine can be linked to ASD. Do you think this could be a possibility?

babyheavingmassofmaggots Sat 08-Oct-11 22:36:36

Hi - the behaviours you're describing sound very similar to my son, particularly the "who am I" thing.

Go to your GP with a list of what is concerning you and they can arrange a referral to a psychologist. As you are in a school, do you have the option of getting in the EdPsych?

DS has had assessments with both of these and they have been very helpful in getting to the bottom of things.

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 22:45:11

neolara Sat 08-Oct-11 22:48:40

I wouldn't rely just on on the ed psych. They would be able to help with specific school based problems (e.g. developing friendships, supporting learning) that might be contributing to his problems, but would be unlikely to have the skills or time to be able to provide any kind of therapy. (I used to be an ed psych). In your position, I would definitely be looking for help from a clinical psychologist.

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 22:50:51

Bohica Sat 08-Oct-11 22:53:12

My DD2 was very isolated within her play, only wanted 1:1 and would struggle if others joined the group.

I changed her school this September and she is honestly a changed child, still angry at home but it's only been a month.

I also wonder if being in your school and class may be causing anxiety.

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Sat 08-Oct-11 22:59:20

A lot of children are not dx with ASD until primary age because this is when the differences become more apparent. The comparison with their peers is more distinct as they get older. Social anxieties become more apparent as they are put in situations where they have to work out the rules and children with ASD find can find this very stressful.

I am not saying this is the case with your son. just answering your question smile

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 23:08:36

Maryz Sat 08-Oct-11 23:09:17

TeamEdward Sat 08-Oct-11 23:14:34

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Oct-11 23:22:31

we didn't pick up on ds1's problems until he was at school. as a previous poster says, it gradually became more apparent that he was different to his peers.
and it also coincided with big anger problems and we now have almost daily tantrums over stuff sad

neolara Sun 09-Oct-11 09:52:29

If you think there are school based issues then by all means ask for a referral to the EP. They may be able to help with friendships, school work, self-esteem boosting, anger management, strategies for dealing with anxiety etc. But I'd be very surprised if they were able to offer on-going therapeutic support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now