Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone with baby boy whose had op for undescended testicle?

(6 Posts)
fifitot Fri 07-Oct-11 18:23:09

My 14m old has to have this soon. Hospital haven't said much apart from when to arrive and how long he has to be nil by mouth.

I need to check with them but what is experience of this? Are they sore for a while? How long does it usually take? Any info gratefully received as hospital have told us very little - thanks.

bubbles4 Fri 07-Oct-11 18:28:15

My ds had to have an operation for a hernia at 3 months and another for a hydrocele (sp) at 3 years,so not exactly what you are asking but same area.
He took the general anasthetic very well,was in theatre for about an hour and recovery for the same,I was kept informed at all times.He was sore the next day but we were advised on the pain killer routine before we left hospital.Is he going n as a day patient?If so could you give the ward a ring or failing that your HV.

thereinmadnesslies Fri 07-Oct-11 19:45:27

Ds2 had this op in June aged 2.

He was very swollen and sore afterwards, the bruising was initially bright purple and took a couple of weeks to go. He wasn't too distressed going into theatre but it took him about 2 hrs to fully come round and in that time he was really upset and nothing would soothe him. We were told to be careful for six wks afterwards - no bikes, climbing etc which was easier said than done

thereinmadnesslies Fri 07-Oct-11 19:46:11

Oh and the op took about an hour, but they repaired a hernia at the same time

fifitot Fri 07-Oct-11 21:48:15

Thanks. ugh sounds a bit horrible. I think he is a day case. No bike or climbing????? How difficult is that with a toddler?

Thanks for your replies.

thereinmadnesslies Fri 07-Oct-11 22:29:24

DS was a day case too. We were told that after the op he had to eat drink and wee to be discharged. DS took ages to wee so we didn't get out til 10pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now