Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My DS has to go in for a minor operation - how can I prepare for it?

(9 Posts)
GiganticusBottomus Fri 07-Oct-11 15:03:40

Hopefully he will just be a day case (he is having a general anaesthetic rather than local though).

I was going to pack:
PJs
A favourite teddy
Nintendo DS (for distraction!)
Small snack for after the op and a drink

Is there anything else I should take?

He seems totally unfussed about the whole thing whereas I am (despite it being a minor procedure) a bundle of nerves about him having a general anaesthetic blush smile He's 6yrs btw.

Milliways Fri 07-Oct-11 16:47:49

A magazine/book for you to read while he sleeps - and food for you too! smile

Maybe a small wrapped surprise treat for afterwards?

Ipod or similar with headphones if he wants to rest and DS requires concentration? Or a book you can read to him (they are never too old for that).

GOod Luck

GiganticusBottomus Fri 07-Oct-11 17:31:33

Thanks! Hadn't thought about stuff to entertain me and dh grin

I think he will definitely be getting a treat!

GiganticusBottomus Fri 07-Oct-11 17:32:00

DS not dh of course wink

rhinobaby Sun 09-Oct-11 12:18:21

The kids ward should make it completely stress free for your son. My DS didn't even get into PJs/ dressing gown as they keep them as normal as possible pre op (day clothes, playing with toys, drawing etc). they had play helpers and lots of stuff to do on the day case ward. then you could 'drive' yourself to theatre in a toy car which he loved. worst bit as a parent was the anaesthetic, then being led away from your child - be prepared to feel a bit wobbly. then your just have to wait on the daycase ward til they phone up to say he is in recovery ward at which point you can go down and be there when he wakes. so the waiting is where you will need something to read to take your mind off it. good to bring a favourite cuddly but I;m sure the whole day will be over before you know it. my son got a bravery certificate at the end! he was completely fine about the whole experience

rhinobaby Sun 09-Oct-11 12:20:04

also the ward will provide a drink/ toast/ sandwich post op as they need to know he can eat and drink ok before he goes home. you may want to bring yourself lots of food and drink in case you are waiting around a lot and the cafe is miles away

GiganticusBottomus Sun 09-Oct-11 14:22:00

Thanks rhino baby, I am sure you will be right, it will be over in a flash. Was your ds happy when he woke up? My friend's daughter has had to have several operations and she said she always wakes up in a monstrous mood!

DS will be very disappointed if he doesn't get to wear his new pyjamas, he has chosen some especially grin

We will pack plenty of food for us, I am a stressy eater at the best of times!!

peeriebear Sun 09-Oct-11 14:32:04

I second bringing food/book etc for you. The ward will provide food and drink for DS as soon as he is alert enough- DD2 had grommets in April and when she came round she ate a bowl of cereal, two cups of juice, a full size sandwich, a bag of crisps, a pear, a satsuma, a kit Kat, a yogurt then asked for the banana she had seen earlier (I had eaten it while she was in surgery!)
We bought one of those hideous 'Huggle Buddies' cushions the week before as a special hospital cushion/toy, she is still fond of it.

GiganticusBottomus Sun 09-Oct-11 17:38:36

Wow, those huggle buddies ARE hideous! You weren't lying grin

Right I will have:

Copious amounts of food/reading materials for us
PJs for DS (although he may not need them smile)
Teddy
Treat
Nintendo DS

I think that is everything, thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now