Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does DS really need surgery?

(7 Posts)
Maternelle Fri 07-Oct-11 09:32:38

We saw the consultant yesterday and the date is set for him to have his tonsils and adenoids taken out. I was convinced. DH wasn't but I managed to convince him it is for the best. But I am not sure anymore.

DS is 3 and breathes exclusively through his mouth. His nose is more or less constantly running in winter, BUT he hasn't had multiple ear infections and his hearing seems fine. His speech is a bit nasal though.
I found articles like this which make me doubt.

I don't want him to go through it if it's not necessary, obviously.
Would love to hear more about other parents' experiences.

Maternelle Fri 07-Oct-11 13:27:29

BahHumPug Fri 07-Oct-11 13:51:32

I think you've answered your own question really. That's just one study versus the experience of many, many doctors. I know several children and adults who have had it done to great effect.

Your son is breathing exclusively through his mouth, he is constantly snotty, it's not nice for him. He's 3 and will bounce back quicker than you can ask him if he wants jelly and ice cream.

I'd do it, personally. I've had it done myself at an older age when the complications are greater and it was fine. In six months he won't remember it at all but will be able to breathe nicely!

DeWe Fri 07-Oct-11 14:15:20

If the consultant wants to, and you weren't desperately trying to persuade him, then he probably needs it. They don't do these things easily now, more often you're trying to persuade them and they're unsure.

At 3yo he will bounce back quicker than if he has to have it done later.

Don't google. You always get worst case senarios. No one even bothers doing a blog about how their child had something and it really was no issue do they?

lljkk Fri 07-Oct-11 14:25:53

NHS doctors don't rush into things like this, I find. They'd just as soon not have a child slotted down for surgery at all (helps meet their waiting targets to keep people off the list!). I think you should go with the medical advice and get it done.

Friend had it done for her son around the same age and is very happy with the results. But boy & his mum were practically housebound for a while afterwards (keeping infection risk down), you need to know what you're getting into.

Lizcat Fri 07-Oct-11 16:16:51

For me it was life changing. I had to wait until I was eleven for someone to suggest this surgery. My throat was a sore for about 5 days - excuse for a lot of jelly and ice cream then I didn't look back.

Maternelle Fri 07-Oct-11 17:07:11

Good. That's what I needed to hear. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now