Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 12 High temperature for 12 days,very sore throat????

(16 Posts)
stayathomegardener Thu 06-Oct-11 20:07:05

Just looking for some reassurance really, having had ME for 9 years following a virus I really struggle to take them lightly.DD started with the usual sore throat,muscle aches,temp and cold.

Took DD to GP who said as glands were so swollen possibly Glandular fever, defiantly not Tonsillitis and the white bits on her throat were 'trapped food',out of hours GP three days later took one look and said definitively bacterial Tonsillitis and prescribed antibiotics.

DD unfortunately allergic to Penicillin so has been on 250g erythryomycin(sp?),no better, GP has now upped dose to 500g,-2nd day at that level,to be fair the white patches on her throat seem to have gone but throat is as sore as ever and temp still over 40 this morning.

Won't get Glandular fever results back until Wednesday and 12 days seems a crazy amount of time for a temperature,words of wisdom before I panic would be greatsmile

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Thu 06-Oct-11 20:11:29

If its only the second day of full dose ABS I would give them a bit longer to start working really. Having regular paracetamol to keep the temp down? At 12 she would be having the adult dose for paracetamol usually, ie 2 tablets 4 x day.

The white spots clearing does suggest that it is starting to improve a bit.

stayathomegardener Thu 06-Oct-11 20:17:30

Thank you minnie,it's 4 days of childrens dose antibiotic and 2 of adult dose-6 days in total,think I was expecting it to work quicker.

All we can do is keep going till the end of the course and wait for the blood test results.

stayathomegardener Thu 06-Oct-11 20:18:51

Oh and yes adult dose paracetamol/neurophen.

inmysparetime Thu 06-Oct-11 20:20:25

The glandular fever test is only 80% accurate though so don't pin too much on it. DH got hepatitis, probably secondary to glandular fever, and his glandular fever test came out negative.

stayathomegardener Thu 06-Oct-11 20:26:11

Really spare time? I was under the impression that the old g/f test that took 3 days to return was unreliable and produced negative results but the 10 day test they now do was definitive .

inmysparetime Thu 06-Oct-11 20:28:50

It was 10 years ago so might have been the old test.

inmysparetime Thu 06-Oct-11 20:31:48

To be fair, he did have a fever for an awfully long time before he went yellow --and finally agreed to see a doctor--grin

stayathomegardener Thu 06-Oct-11 20:32:35

Just googled =not as definitive as I was lead to believe spare time

stayathomegardener Thu 06-Oct-11 20:33:52

Going yellowshockand I thought starting this thread may reassure me

inmysparetime Thu 06-Oct-11 20:42:50

Your DD is receiving treatment (and is clearly nowhere near as belligerent about seeing doctors as DH is). He was fine once I actually convinced him to see a doctor and he got some meds.

dikkertjedap Thu 06-Oct-11 22:44:41

erythromycin??? I thought that nowadays most doctors prescribed clarithomycin as it has far fewer side effects and is as effective???? If fever doesn't come down after 48 hours on heavy duty anti-biotics I would take her to A&E and also have chest x-rayed to exclude pneumonia, GPs miss it too often.

Chaotica Fri 07-Oct-11 17:07:44

I had a similar infection this summer from having strep throat. Ordinary antibiotics didn't have much effect so I was given pristinamycin (in France) which worked although it took a week. Here I would have been hospitalized and given IV antibiotics, I am told.

I'd go back if she's still in pain with a fever tomorrow.

The 'swollen glands' I had were actually an abscess.

Chaotica Fri 07-Oct-11 17:08:20

I was also given a high dose of steroids (sorry - forgot to add that) to bring the swelling down.

stayathomegardener Tue 11-Oct-11 22:10:25

Hey thanks for the extra comments,she ended up in hospital so was unable to check,the outcome is blood tests show Glandular Fever,no wonder antibiotics didn't help.

Chaotica Tue 11-Oct-11 22:22:09

Your poor DD. Make sure she rests and takes plenty of vitamin B.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now