Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd (13) bad stomach ache, feeling sick and shakiness

(17 Posts)
TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 14:20:22

Have just collected her from school and the nurse has advised seeking medical opinion, so we have an appointment at 4pm, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

She's not due on, and isn't constipated. Pain started about 2 hours ago, severe stabbing pain she said, all around belly. She also feels sick and shakey.

I am thinking appendicitis but she doesn't jump off the bed when i press her stomach, just says it hurts.

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 15:11:54

Oddly she has pain all around her belly button but it's alot worse on her left hand side confused

thirtysomething Thu 06-Oct-11 15:14:46

worth getting checked as could be an ovarian cyst? Does sound like appendicitis but pain would probably be more on her right (though not always!)

Does she have a temperature? Hope she's sorted soon

RogerMelly Thu 06-Oct-11 15:15:21

has she got a temperature?

I had a virus a few weeks ago and I actually thought I had an appendicitis but it started in the stomach and then developed into a fluey like cold/throat. Then low and behold my daughter had it last week.

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 15:18:34

Our thermometer isn't working. Her head and stomach feel slightly warmer than the rest of her.

She said the pain is there constantly, sometimes stabbing and somtimes just there.

She has voluntarily said she isn't going to dancing tonight so it must be hurting her as she will dance through anything normally.

RogerMelly Thu 06-Oct-11 15:21:39

Have you got her an appointment at the Drs? can you borrow a thermometer?

I would give her some paracetamol anyway if you haven't already

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 15:23:51

Yeh we are off to docs soon.

Haven't given her any paracetamol yet as didn't want it to mask the pain. Will give her something as soon as we are out of gp's if everythings ok.

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 16:40:31

Back from the docs. He thinks it is a viral infection of her colon as she is very tender around that area. He said she might get diorreah (sp?) in the next couple of days.

Sje is now attemtping to have something to eat.

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 19:46:25

Hmm i'm not totally convinced of the diagnosis. The pain seems to be moving up now, although still on left side mainly, with a bit of tenderness under her belly button too.

She has eaten and no longer feels sick or shakey, just like someone is stabbing her.

Have given her paracetamol and it has taken the edge of a little but she is still complaining a bit.

Going to keep an eye on her overnight and take her back tomorrow if she is still in as much pain.

girliefriend Thu 06-Oct-11 19:47:45

did the rule out a urine infectioon?

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 20:14:21

Not really no. He asked if she had any pain on passing urine and she said no. Prodded her kidneys too and no pain there.

I asked her my usual questions, like when did you last poo, what was it like etc. All of that seemed fine. She did just say that she now has pain on the right side of her belly button too, but that it is coming and going.

thirtysomething Thu 06-Oct-11 20:33:35

keep an eye on her as could still be appendicitis. I had this age 14 and had a couple of days of moving pain before it became acute (at which point I had a high temp and was vomiting). Did he do the test for appendicitis? (involves pressing on a bit of her tummy and seeing if it makes pain worse or better or something like that)?

TheOriginalNutcracker Thu 06-Oct-11 20:44:59

He pressed on alot of her tummy, but my mum said they normally do a test when they press down quite hard and then when they release their hand the pain worsens if it is appendicitis. I did it and she said the pain didn't change.

If she still has any pain at all in the morning they I am def keeping her off school so i can keep an eye on her.

first1 Sun 09-Oct-11 02:08:18

I had appendicitis three years ago - fook me it was painful! Started with generalised tummy pain, projectile vomiting and diarrhoea so I assumed tummy bug but dh marched me to the gp who examined me and called through to the surgical unit at the hospital and sent me straight there. I was in theatre within half hour of arriving. I think if it is appendicitis it becomes acute very quickly, the pain in the right iliac fossa (just found me hospital notes!) is excruciating.

Google mesenteric adenitis. It has some similar symptoms you describe your daughter has. Hope she is on the mend now.

ChippingIn Sun 09-Oct-11 02:32:42

TON - how is DD now?

TheOriginalNutcracker Sun 09-Oct-11 15:24:12

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

Dd is now fine. She still had some pain up until last night, but it had decreased alot. She's not had any sickness or dioreah though so i'm not sure if the gp was right or not.

TheOriginalNutcracker Sun 09-Oct-11 15:26:08

I'd never heard of that first1, but it does sound very similar to dd's symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now