Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Reassurance needed - nose bleed with clotting in 5YO

(5 Posts)
QwertyQueen Thu 06-Oct-11 10:32:24

his nose has bled a few times in the past, and he has a cold now so it bled yesterday.
It has started bleeding again but this time each time I change the tissue (he is leaning forward and pinching his nose) a MASSIVE blood clot comes with it.
It looks like the bleeding might be slowing down.
I just ran out of phone credit so cant call doctor!
have a 5 month old screaming in my ear and starting to panic...
anyone experienced this? should I be taking him to A&E?

AMumInScotland Thu 06-Oct-11 11:28:03

Sorry this is an hour back so hopefully he's ok now. The best thing with a nosebleed is to pinch the nose completely shut for 10 minutes and lean forwards a bit. You shouldn't need to have a tissue or anything, so he shouldn't have to move about.

After 10 minutes, let go of the nose. If it starts up again, pinch for another 10 minutes. Then do it a third time if it still hasn't stopped.

If 3 goes of 10 minutes don't do the trick, then it's a trip to A&E, but they'll almost always stop by then - it's just that it feels like forever and you want to check sooner! And faffing about or checking sooner is likely to let th ebleeding start up again, that's why they want you to hold out for 10 whole minutes, so it can clot and block the little bloodvessels.

HTH for another time!

QwertyQueen Thu 06-Oct-11 11:48:28

thanks for replying! Yes I knew the 10 minute, lean forward thing, but I do think it was probably more like 4 minutes than 10 when I checked - it just feels very long!
So we have kept it pinched for 30 minutes and it is OK now. The sheer size of the bloodclot was terrifying!
Will keep an eye on it.
Thanks again

AMumInScotland Thu 06-Oct-11 12:54:23

I know, 10 minutes feels soooo long when you're waiting! I know what I'm meant to do, but any time I get one I start to fidget after only a couple of minutes, because its always when I was in the middle of something and it's a pain to just sit there.

If he gets them a lot it might be worth talking to the GP about it - I think there's a kind of antibiotic cream which can help in some cases - something to do with an infection in the nose keeping the surface a bit raw maybe?

But I just get them when I have colds and blow too hard and too often, or come in from the cold to a warm room. Just one of those things some people are susceptible to I guess.

Hope he feels better soon.

QwertyQueen Sat 08-Oct-11 19:49:35

thanks.. I did speak to the GP, who said he may have to have it cauterised if it continues, we will see how it goes. Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now