Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Foods when child has diarrhea

(9 Posts)
pixipie151 Thu 06-Oct-11 08:24:48

My LO 2years old has got terrible trots - 12 episodes in past 24 hours with severe cramps. She seems a bit better this morning (no trots yet) and wants to eat and drink, but she wants all the stuff you shouldn't eat with upset tummy. I had a look in my Anabel Karmel book, she says give banana, stewed apple, rice and dry white bread (although pretty sure she'll turn her nose up at these!). Anything else I can offer her?

Notquitegrownup Thu 06-Oct-11 08:29:23

Can't believe she suggests stewed apple, which can be given to alleviate constipation! It helps people 'go', IME - and it's v. acidic too.

I always offer simple rich tea biscuits or toast with a little honey, which are both very gentle on the tum. Then boiled egg or scrambled eggs on toast for the first full meal, as eggs are v. easily digested

Notquitegrownup Thu 06-Oct-11 08:30:57

Oh, I do remember reading that if you peel an eating apple, there is something in the flesh of an apple which helps settle upset tums, so maybe try just simple bits of apple too?

tabulahrasa Thu 06-Oct-11 08:32:12

Yellow food, I don't know why it's all yellow, but it is, lol

scrambled eggs

ImTheMap Thu 06-Oct-11 08:32:57

Google BRAT diet. I read about it on here. Banana, rice, apple, toast. Hope little one feels better soon x

ckny1 Thu 06-Oct-11 08:51:35

have you tried diluted fennel or chamomile tea to keep her hydrated? i read 2 days ago that the brat diet doesn't in fact provide enough nutrients (though i still feel safe with it) and to give wholewheat toasts/cereals/oats, applesauce, and yoghurt (?!)

my 6mo ds is experiencing this now and i was going to write a similar post. hope your lo feels better soon.

mousymouse Thu 06-Oct-11 09:01:58

anything she will have, really. just limit the dairy intake apart from breastmilk.
hydration is most important, see what she will have. diluted juice is ok, as is slightly sweetned (fennel) tea. same for food. she might not have much of an appetite anyway.
it is not good to try to slow things down, as the bugs need to leave the body.

pixipie151 Thu 06-Oct-11 13:53:35

Thanks everyone- I like the fennel tea idea especially. ckny - I hope your little one is better soon - always a tricky one when they're tiny as all mine wanted was milk!

SamsGoldilocks Thu 06-Oct-11 13:56:00

i knew it as BBB - bread, bananas and biscuits - i think ones like rich tea rather than a chocolate hob nob grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now