Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Been up all night. Most soothing food for child with raging sore throat?

(9 Posts)
linspins Wed 05-Oct-11 06:16:42

Poor 5 yr old dd has a terrible sore throat, and croaky voice. She's been waking up every half hr in night in a panic because it hurts too much to swallow. Apple juice from a carton seemed to 'sting'...and sips of water didn't help. I've given her calpol, far a temperature and nurofen too.
What foods/drinks do you recommend?

Little 21 mth ds has hand foot and mouth, but I don't know if Dd has the same...no spots on her hands/feet yet, just the terrible throat/fever.

RECENTLYFOUNDOUT Wed 05-Oct-11 06:41:33

I find that my 3 yo finds ice pops quite soothing with a sore throat. Once the nurofen kicks in it really helps with the inflammation in the throat and so if possible I would keep them on regular dosing as it is cumulative.

Good luck smile x

jenniec79 Wed 05-Oct-11 06:44:59

Jelly, ice lollies, really cold iced drinks (don't do what my mum does and "take the chill off" hmm, toast (strangely always made me feel better, white with butter on while hot so not too crispy)

Lemsip instead of calpol once old enough. Hot lemon or hot ribena in the meantime. I think the extremes of temperature are easier strangely enough!

rubyslippers Wed 05-Oct-11 06:59:25

Boiled eggs

YY to ice lollies and keep her dosed on the meds

If it continues do take her to the GP as it could be tonsillitis

MrsFruitcake Wed 05-Oct-11 07:23:42

Fresh orange juice frozen into lollies - its what my Mum always gave us, and I now give DC when they have sore throats.

Another one my Mum used to give us was warm orange squash - don't know why but it was always soothing.

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Wed 05-Oct-11 07:27:41

Can you give Manuka honey? I've had a nasty sore throat, took hot honey with lemon and off the spoon and it's miraculously loads better today. It's magic stuff.

foolserrand Wed 05-Oct-11 07:44:35

Yogurt, melon (esp watermelon), milk, soggy bread (in either soup or milk), banana, and ice lollies. Warm ribena and honey and lemon to drink.

Cheese and chocolate tends to make sire throats worse. Fruit juice stings because of the acidity. Hope she feels better soon.

linspins Wed 05-Oct-11 07:55:21

Thanks all! Off to the shops later this morning to fetch supplies with both poorly children wrapped up warm.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Oct-11 08:33:47

I second the Manuka honey! It's the first thing we reach for with sore throats and it really does seem to help. Another vote for the fruit juice ice lollies too although I personally would avoid orange juice because I find it a bit 'stingy'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now