Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD had tooth extractions last week- tonight she can feel a small piece of tooth in socket

(12 Posts)
chocolatespiders Tue 04-Oct-11 22:19:51

extractions done under general last Wednesday, and tonight dd can feel and I can see a small piece of tooth in the socket .... she has now gone to sleep, do I ring consultant that did the op or our dentist- who we were at yesterday for a routine appointment but I don't think she had a really good look as dd was still a bit tender.

HuwEdwards Tue 04-Oct-11 22:22:20

I had this many years back - and because I'm never keen on going to the dentist, left it until the next 6 monthly checkup. Dentist removed it painlessly. Would imagine that it might open the mouth up to infections however so don't advocate waiting as I did.

acsec Tue 04-Oct-11 22:24:08

I could feel something in the socket after I had a wisdom tooth removed and the dentist pushed it back down!

chocolatespiders Tue 04-Oct-11 22:24:42

I dont think it can be a new tooth this quickly so it must be a bit broken off the tooth they removed sad poor dd

acsec Tue 04-Oct-11 22:30:24

I think mine was a bone fragment.

chocolatespiders Tue 04-Oct-11 22:35:22

Poor dd... I will ring hospital tomorrow, hoping she doesnt wake up in the night as the calpol is very low.. we have got through a lot of it this week.

ParkerRocks Tue 04-Oct-11 22:42:55

I had this shortly after an extraction. It's a piece of the socket coming away apparently! Obviously with an extraction the tooth comes out, the socket is left and this then detaches from the jaw. Mine just pulled away painlessly once all of it came to the surface! It was a thin, fragile ring of bone, most unpleasant! Hope your DD feels better soon, such a horrible thing to have done.

OvO Tue 04-Oct-11 22:46:50

I had this recently and thought it was a piece of tooth but it was bone fragment. I went back to my dentist as it was really painful and they put some substance on the socket to help with healing, and it hurt a lot less.

starfishmummy Tue 04-Oct-11 22:49:33

I have had this too - it just worked its own way out.

chocolatespiders Tue 04-Oct-11 23:00:32

I think this is probably what has happened that as the gum has become less swollen it has maybe pushed the piece up.

Thanks all I really appreciate your input, I love my life with my girls but feel so alone when they are ill or in pain.

Will try and sort it tomorrow

WeeLors Wed 12-Oct-11 09:52:35

I got a tooth out about 12yrs ago and just in the last year the dentist has noticed that a fragment (I think he said it was the tooth root) has started to work its way out of my gum. My gums must've just healed over it all those years ago and its taken this long to work its way out.

Anyway, the dentist has just left it, says these thinks just tend to work their own way out painlessly. Think I'm trying to say try not to worry, I doubt it'll cause her any problems. Hope she's not feeling too poorly though, its horrible getting teeth out sad

WeeLors Wed 12-Oct-11 09:54:53

Just realised this thread isn't even active any more, my heads not screwed on today!! blush

Hope you got everything sorted out with your DDs tooth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now