Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sun tan lotion dilemma

(23 Posts)
ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 13:42:12

DD (8 y.o.), is very allergic to sun tan lotion and can only wear proderm sun mousse. We have a dilemma where in July we fly to Majorca for our holiday. The sun mousse is in a pressurised container and cannot go in the suitcase. It is also over 100 mls and cannot go in hand luggage. They do not make a smaller bottle. Can anybody recommend any other sun tan lotion that can be used instead? I know we don't go for a while, but I might need to skin patch test certain lotions before we go. Thanks.

ShowOfHands Tue 04-Oct-11 13:43:29

Decant into a smaller container? Take half a bottle?

ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 13:46:45

Have thought about that but when you squirt it out, it volumises, goes everywhere and then liquidizes after a while. Don't think it will last a week that way. Thanks.

bumbleymummy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:54:04

Do you know what it is that he is allergic to in the sun tan lotion?

We use Badger suncream (spf 30) for our boys.

Ingredients:

Active Sunscreen Ingredient: Non-Nano, Uncoated Zinc Oxide 18.75%

Inactive Sunscreen Ingredients: *Olea Europaea (Extra Virgin Olive) Oil, *Cera Alba (Beeswax), *Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, *Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, *Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Essential Oil of *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), and CO2 Extract of *Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn).

boxoftricks Tue 04-Oct-11 14:01:25

im a bit confused- surely people take hair mousse and anti-perspirant on holiday all the time?

scaredykatt Tue 04-Oct-11 14:04:30

Are you sure it can't go in the suitcase? - I have actually taken (lots of) the Proderm mousse on holiday in our suitcases before!

boxoftricks Tue 04-Oct-11 14:06:17

After googling for ten minutes I can't find anywhere that says you wouldnt be able to take it in your suitcase. if its over 100ml it can't go in your carry on bag, but would be fine in your suitcase in the hold. Where did you get told you couldn't?

boxoftricks Tue 04-Oct-11 14:07:21

(when it means pressurized container, the definition that keeps coming after it is items that are refridgerated and oygen/ gas cyclinders eg oxygen

ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 14:09:52

I was told that a pressurised container can't go in a suitcase, its on the BMI site who we are flying with. If other people have taken it in their suitcase I'll give it a go and risk it. Thanks.

ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 14:20:15

Just re checked on BMI site and it says toiletries which are in pressurised containers to go in hand baggage, so thats anything under 100 mls.

NatashaBee Tue 04-Oct-11 14:26:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NatashaBee Tue 04-Oct-11 14:27:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 14:35:41

Prescription meds are allowed, I have an appt next week anyway, so I'll ask and beg for it on prescription.

BarbaraWoodlouse Tue 04-Oct-11 14:43:09

Per this page here I'd have thought you were fine putting it into the hold. See medicines and toiletries (inc aerosols)

Put it in a plastic bag to avoid leakage but otherwise you should be fine.

I'd advise a call to the airline to clarify before messing about with prescription meds in carry on luggage. That just sounds like a whole world of red tape...

BarbaraWoodlouse Tue 04-Oct-11 14:44:57

Bugger, link didn't work. See useful info/banned items about half way down the page.

oldraver Wed 05-Oct-11 12:33:18

But it at the airport after you've gone through security. I'm sure you can phonje ahead and make sure they have some

oldraver Wed 05-Oct-11 12:33:29

Buy

pixipie151 Thu 06-Oct-11 08:19:59

My Dd is allergic to suncremes and I hate using ones with chemical nasties. I use Neals Yard's one for her. Its SPF25 so you need to reapply fairly often, but it is good, natural and has a nice lavender smell.

There are also the invisible zinc ones that you can get from Selfridges, although I've not tried those.

savoycabbage Thu 06-Oct-11 08:23:33

If you have a doctor's letter you can take more than 100mls.

boxoftricks Thu 06-Oct-11 09:04:53

"You may take non-radioactive medicinal items or toiletries (including aerosols) like hairsprays, perfumes, colognes and medicines containing alcohol, in limited quantities in your checked and hand baggage" this is what it says on the pretravel-baggage advice-banned items-half way down, under the heading 'medicines and toiletries'
i think compressed gasses are different to pressurised containers

Mumelie Mon 10-Oct-11 20:55:59

My daughter is also horribly allergic to normal suncream. Try this. Soaks in very easily and so far no problems using it all thus Summer.

vmcd28 Tue 11-Oct-11 18:43:36

if your dd is allergic to most suncreams, then your Doctor would be heartless if he wont give you a prescription for it. Ive had many moles removed, and I now get normal suncream on prescription - so it's not an unreasonable request.

BlueBumedFly Wed 12-Oct-11 21:57:47

I took proderm in my suitcase this year when we flew to Spain? Was I not supposed to??? It was fine when we got there and worked all OK as DD can also only use proderm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now