Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

10 month stopped eating, trouble drinking, crying and kicking legs

(10 Posts)
iamroddo Sun 02-Oct-11 00:32:45

Our 10 month year old has had a bug or something the last few days. He was a very good eater (was down to a single bottle in the evening before bed) but has more or less stopped eating since Thursday. We've been feeding him formula to try and replace the meals he refuses. Normally he takes to his bottle very well but not now. He'll start to drink then usually it will appear to upset him and he'll cry a lot, kicking his legs out. He doesn't (yet) do tantrums and in any case the reaction isn't like his angry one. Sometimes he can be calmed down and drinking resumes. This happens whether we give him formula, water or juice. The end result is that we haven't been able to get much liquid into him.

A pattern that has developed over the last couple of nights is waking and crying. We find him shuffling around in his bed kicking his legs in the same way as after he drinks, so far at similar times in the night.

We don't think that it's constipation as it started the evening after he'd had a good day of 'production' though he's not poo'd since then.

We are getting a bit desperate about what to do. We presume that not drinking much can't be good.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 02-Oct-11 00:56:52

Any sign of temp or illness? Any vomiting?
How many teeth? Are a few coming in at once perhaps? Do you give Calpol/neurofen when really distressed?

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 02-Oct-11 00:59:39

I would also say that one bottle a day for a 10mo isn't enough. Babies that age need around a pint a day.

iamroddo Sun 02-Oct-11 07:04:00

He's getting teeth and chews a lot but this has been going on for a while. I can't see that the last couple of days can be explained by progression of his new teeth. We can't see any other signs of illness than the behaviour I described.

He normally gets a lot more food, mashed vegetables and fruit at several times of day, bread, porridge (which contains formula), weak juice and water. This diet has been stable for the last couple of months and he's normally pretty healthy. I agree that now he ought be drinking more, that he's not is bad, that we should work out how to get to eat more is clear. Is his current acceptance of less liquid/formula resulting in his behaviour or a product of something else (sore throat, stomach ache, other ailment)?

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 02-Oct-11 09:42:22

Could be something like tonsillitis but unlikely without a temp id have thought. Tbh if it continues I would get him to the GP.

belindarose Sun 02-Oct-11 09:44:49

I'd get a urine sample and get him to out of hours doc or a&e today, tbh.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 02-Oct-11 16:27:51

How is he now?

iamroddo Sun 02-Oct-11 20:14:46

He doesn't have a temperature and hasn't during this whole saga. While last night was rather sleep deprived for all of us today was better. He drank 2 bottles during the day without drama and even ate some pureed fruit. After his evening bottle (the 3rd) it took him a long time to settle to bed but he eventually slept. Looking at what was necessary to settle him back to sleep after interruptions during the last couple of nights I'd be tempted to imagine that whatever upset him during the nights also affected him this evening, but I don't know. I guess we'll see tonight. If it's like last night, I'll take him to see a doctor tomorrow.

iamroddo Mon 03-Oct-11 08:19:45

He's much better this morning. He slept the night without interruption. This morning's normal breakfast was eaten without issue. I guess the bug, whatever it was, has passed. Thanks for the advice and support from the board :-)

belindarose Mon 03-Oct-11 10:59:04

Great news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now