Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blood in wee?

(7 Posts)
CardyMow Sat 01-Oct-11 16:32:29

DS2 (almost 8yo) has got pink 'dribble' patches of wee on the front of his pants. When I asked him about it, he said it's been happening for a few weeks now - I hadn't noticed because he is usually dressed - he's running around in his pants today due to the heat!

I am worried because when I googled, it said that that is blood in the urine, and could be indicative of Kidney problems. Which is a worry as one of my cousins had to have a kidney transplant when she was 10yo (many moons ago), I can't remember what her 'illness' was, just that she was really ill and on dialysis for ages before her dad (my uncle) donated his kidney to her. Also other people in my family have died through 'kidney trouble'as children, in the past.

Obviously, I'm going to take him to the GP on Monday, but is there anything non-kidnay related that could cause blood in the urine? He says it doesn't hurt to go for a wee, so I doubt it's a UTI.

<<Worried>>

deemented Sat 01-Oct-11 16:42:02

Has he caught his foreskin at all? Maybe ulled it back too far or something?

deemented Sat 01-Oct-11 16:42:12

*pulled

CardyMow Sat 01-Oct-11 16:46:17

Nope, I asked! He said it's just the colour of his wee?!

PastGrace Sat 01-Oct-11 16:55:04

Not sure about not kidney related, but just as a bit of reassurance - I have a dodgy kidney and as a result often get kidney problems. With mine there is blood in urine, but it hasn't been serious enough for dialysis, just needed antibiotics. Even if it is kidney related, it doesn't mean it's really serious - often it's easy to solve. Kidney problems normally come (for me at least) with lower back pain and feeling really ill, so I wouldn't worry if he is fine otherwise. Dee's idea sounds possible. Good luck smile

PastGrace Sat 01-Oct-11 17:00:10

Oh, sorry, cross post.

Have you been giving him any vitamins or funny coloured foods? I find that those "women's" vitamins always make my wee a funny colour, so maybe there is an ingredient in them that he has been having? Or lots of red food dye?

CardyMow Sat 01-Oct-11 17:06:09

Nope, none of the above.

He is not a 'well' child, has always been quite sickly IYKWIM. Chronic asthma, hypermobility syndrome, hypotonia, GDD, and he has asd too - so not very descriptive about things. He has a cough at the moment, unsure whether it's related, he's had the cough for over a week, almost 2 weeks now. Not sure if it's his asthma or not - inhalers don't seem to be helping, but it's not a 'BAD' cough IYSWIM. Just a cough...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now