Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

mouth ulcers, tongue spots, sore looking gums = molar teething? - DS 28months

(6 Posts)
rocket74 Sat 01-Oct-11 14:01:59

Hi

DS has a mouth full of ulcers, tongue spots/ulcers, his gums look sore now too and I think a sore throat as he is finding it really hard to swallow.
Spoke to a doctor yesterday and he said he would give only give him alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol - which I have been trying but DS hates medicine so much it is a real battle and he threw up the last lot.
Don't know what else I can do. refusing most food but putting my hand on his tummy so i think that was hurting as hungry. Finally having a nap after some banana and icecream (that went down well).
Question - if he eats nothing but icecream for the next few days is that wrong?
Are his teeth going to fall out - havent been able to clean them for 4 days(and anyway when we do it is a bit of a trial so they are not exactly pristine at the best of times).
DS has speech delay so can't articulate what is wrong any more than crying a lot and taking my hand to his mouth or his tummy.

Is this all just symptoms of more teeth coming through - I can't look in there to check myself.

Any tips?

ClaimedByMe Sat 01-Oct-11 14:05:18

Did the dr mention hand, foot and mouth? Check his hands and feet for spots too.

rocket74 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:56:39

i thought that yesterday but no blisters. But saw today just one small blister on his big toe.
Read up on it - think it could be that but without the body blisters? a bit of a rash on legs but he gets heat rash so thought it was that.
Will keep checking - doesnt seem to be any medication for it other than what I mentioned - the body's immune system will hopefully kick in.

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 01-Oct-11 17:59:40

Could be AHGS - primary herpes infection.

Heliopolis Sat 01-Oct-11 22:22:22

Sounds just like Hand Foot and Mouth, DD didn't get it on hands and feet too only mouth, but DS got it pretty much all over. I caught it too and just had sore throat and a couple of blisters on hands. It doesn't last for long, less than a week.

rocket74 Sun 02-Oct-11 11:55:39

DS seems a lot better today - managed a splash in the paddling pool and a bowl of ready brek so think he is on the mend x still no blisters so hope he has bypassed that - but was writhing a lot last night as though he was feeling itchy. Been poorly since Wed so hope nearly over.
His gums look so sore I am afraid for his teeth - can't want to be able to clean them soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now