Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My little one is not well and im worried!

(7 Posts)
BlueKangaroo22 Sat 01-Oct-11 12:59:16

Little one has a cough and a snuffle and has only had 4oz of her bottle this morning when she normally has at least 6oz. she was due a feed at 12pm but shes still asleep!
Shes my first so i feel like the worlds worst mom for not knowing what to do, i have given her a bit of calpol (shes 3 months old tommorow)

advice needed or should i just take her to the docs on monday?

BlueKangaroo22 Sat 01-Oct-11 13:09:43

bump sorry

Acekicker Sat 01-Oct-11 16:49:59

If it's just a 'cold' and she hasn't got a temp etc then the biggest problem is more likely dehydration if she isn't drinking. At 3 mo they can get lathargic and dehydrated quite quickly. Keep an eye out for signs of it (real lethargy, dry lips etc) if you see those then you need to go to a doc pronto.

Try to clear her nose a bit if you can - you can sit in a steamy bathroom (although v little fun on a hot day), bit of olbas oil on a hanky in her room far out of reach etc. You can also get things to suck the snot out of their noses if you're feeling brave.

If she's getting dehydrated, lethargic or has a high temp that won't go down then you will definitely need to go to the docs.

WantToGetBackToNormal Sat 01-Oct-11 16:55:30

Best advice I can give you is to get some fluid in her every hour, even if it's just a sip.
I completely sympathise as I know how horrible it is when you're new to being a mum and they get ill.

Keep an eye on her nappies to make sure she is still wetting them.

WantToGetBackToNormal Sat 01-Oct-11 16:57:45

Oh yes agree with acekicker re the snot suckers - they are great - still use one on my 3 year old as he is incapable of blowing his nose!!

seeker Sat 01-Oct-11 17:02:03

Keep offering her her bottle- if you're on a routine ignore it. If she feels hot, strip her to her nappy and maybe a tepid bath. But I bet you that she'll be fine tomorrow! I wouldn't give her calpol at 3 months unless she seems to be in pain or is staying hot after the stripping and the bath (remember, tepid not cold).

And try not to worry!

minibmw2010 Sat 01-Oct-11 18:46:55

Calpol is OK if you think she has a temperature but I wouldn't otherwise, it is OK for babies over 2 months (though my DS prefers the Ibuprofen syrup). My DS has slept a lot today too because of the heat but I would try and make sure she keeps her fluid up. Plus the nasal aspirator from BabiesRUs is brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now