Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Which cough medicine is best for a tickly cough in a 3 year old?

(8 Posts)
SammiMum Fri 30-Sep-11 09:57:42

My little DS has had a tickly cough for a week now, no fever or other symptoms but it's interrupting his sleep (and mine!). Any suggestions of the best cough medicine out there?

scottishmummy Fri 30-Sep-11 10:12:00

i wouldn't give a cough medicine,just honey,lemon mixed in warm water. there are otc ones non prescription in boots ,sainsburys but hardly any active ingredient.

mangopudding Fri 30-Sep-11 10:46:54

Try manuka honey.

SammiMum Fri 30-Sep-11 11:56:53

Thanks everyone smile I've heard about manuka honey, what does it do? Does anyone use Tixylix?

scottishmummy Fri 30-Sep-11 12:07:16

dont waste your money on tixylixx its honey and glycerine.not worth the effort

Lottie4 Fri 30-Sep-11 14:35:14

I actually asked the doctor this once and he said not to give cough medicine as there are different reasons for a cough, ie dry, just tickly and you can't be sure which one you are treating in the young!

EdithWeston Fri 30-Sep-11 14:44:34

You might want to try Buttercup Syrup, which is a mild expectorant which also soothes sore throats (thus covering most types of cough). It can be given to children over 2.

BertieBotts Fri 30-Sep-11 15:55:34

I've used tixylix with DS younger than that, it seemed to help. If it doesn't help then worth looking at other causes.

I found tixylix good because I could disguise it as ribena, which DS likes (he hates the idea of taking medicine and always fights it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now