Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Giving ventolin to 9 month old, tips please!

(7 Posts)
ohmygoshandgolly Thu 29-Sep-11 22:01:56

I took my dd to the gp this afternoon as she had a high temp, shallow raspy breathing and a cough.

The gp prescribed ventolin for her. Although the temp has gone down, the breathing is still really raspy.

I'm really struggling to give the required dose of ventolin through the 'spacer', can anyone help with some tips? The gp has said i need to hold it over her nose and mouth for several seconds after 'puffing' but she keeps pushing it away and I'm not sure anything has gone in.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 29-Sep-11 22:06:49

You need to pin her down.

It sounds awful, but it really was a 2 man job to keep his arms out of the way. When DH was away I used to lie ds2 down on his back on our bed, then put a sheet over him and kneel over the top of him with my legs holding the sheet down iyswim. Put the mask over he face, hold that with one hand then use the other to trigger the puff, then move both hands onto the mask and keep a good tight seal around her nose and mouth.

The hospital taught us to do one puff then count slowly to 10 before taking the inhler out of the spacer, giving it a good shake, replacing it and doing it again (x10!).

The more they scream the better the drugs are getting down into their lungs. It's horrible at the time, but it really does help them.

Good luck.

Sirzy Thu 29-Sep-11 22:15:24

I agree with pinning down if needed. Sounds horrible but if it's the only way to get the Medicine in then so be it!

Other (more gentle!) approaches include letting them play with the spacer, giving some inhaler to mummy/teddy/toy car (don't ask!) so it doesn't seem as scary.

Sing to her while you do it.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 29-Sep-11 22:16:59

Oh yes, I found that one slow repetition of "I know a man called Michael Finnegan" took about the right time inbetween puffs grin

Jojay Thu 29-Sep-11 22:18:34

What IwishIwasmoreorganised said.

It's good stuff and should help almost immediately.

Hope she feels better soon

Sirzy Thu 29-Sep-11 22:20:55

Also try decorating the spacer with sparkly stickers.

Give a favourite teddy/toy to play with while you do it to keep her hands occupied.

With ds at first he hated it so much we had to get a new smaller spacer. Now he actually enjoys having his inhaler!

ohmygoshandgolly Fri 30-Sep-11 19:44:43

Thanks so much, I have had more success today! I just needed to be a bit more forceful and I'm sure that we'll both get used to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now