Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu jabs for under 5s?

(11 Posts)
loopeylu Thu 29-Sep-11 11:30:22

Quick q - are you going to get a flu jab for your under 5s? I've read numerous articles by Drs saying that they are a higher risk group but the NHS can't vaccinate.

I've got a 7 month old and a soon to be 3 year old.

cedmonds Thu 29-Sep-11 11:36:17

Hi
DS(5) has had his flu jab since he was little but that is because his has health problems so it is even worse for him if he gets flu. I have just got back from the Gp and everything there is saying over 65 or ongoing health problems, so you would have to get it done privately and i am not sure they would give it to your 7month old. I wouldn't bother getting it down if there was no ongoing health issues though but that is only my opinion.

Seona1973 Thu 29-Sep-11 12:34:30

ds got the swine flu one a couple of years ago as he was deemed high risk due to his age. They stopped doing them for under 5's after that so neither of mine had a flu jab last year and I am not planning on getting them done as they dont have ongoing health problems. (they are age 4 and 7)

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 29-Sep-11 17:33:58

There is an issue with one of the flu jabs available this year in that it can cause high fever in under 5s. There are other jabs available if your under5 is in an at risk group.

I will find the link.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 29-Sep-11 17:36:29

Page 18 here gives the vax names and dosages. Here

This is the info about the problem with Viroflu Viroflu

Sirzy Thu 29-Sep-11 19:38:24

Ds is having the jab he is just under two and had it last year to as he is asthmatic. If he didn't have Any health problems then I wouldn't be doing it though

roliepolie Thu 29-Sep-11 19:56:02

my dd is 2yrs 4mths and got it today as she is asthmatic and had pneumonia 3 times she had it done last yr as well

beautifulgirls Thu 29-Sep-11 21:36:34

My GP has issued prescriptions to go and get a different flu vaccine for my girls (23mth, 5yr and 7yr) compared to the adult ones they are giving. We are all being vaccinated to help protect the youngest as she has had some serious health issues this year, but otherwise we would not qualify for them.

bumbleymummy Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:55

No. We are not. No underlying health problems and we don't usually get vaccinated against flu.

Tiggles Thu 29-Sep-11 22:18:47

DS2 (4) has asthma and has had the flu jab for the last couple of years, just had a card through to get his one done this year. Wouldn't bother if he wasn't asthmatic, but had too many hospital admissions when he has just had a cold to want to know what it would be like if he got flu.

loopeylu Fri 30-Sep-11 11:17:52

Thanks everyone. V helpful. It sounds like even if available, you wouldn't bother unless underlying health concerns (asthma etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now