Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Corns between the toes- extra wide fitting shoes required

(8 Posts)
popgoestheweezel Mon 26-Sep-11 21:39:52

DD (7) has big lumps of hard skin between her big and second toe.
She's been seen by the podiatrist who said they weren't verrucas and I should just rub the hard skin with a foot file. I've been doing this for several weeks now but it doesn't seem to have made a great difference.
I've taken her for new shoes at Clarks today and the fitter mentioned that the toes on the foot with the corns were constricted but that was the best fit they could offer- I didn't buy them. My conclusion from this is that Clarks do not make a shoe wide enough for DD but have been happily selling me badly fitting shoes for years!
I had assumed that the hard skin could not have been caused by shoes as I have always taken her to Clarks and had her professionally fitted. But if too narrow shoes are what is causing the issue than where will I get wider shoes that actually will fit her properly?

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Mon 26-Sep-11 21:46:01

Not sure about the shoes as DC's are all skinny ninnies but can help with the corns. Try school corn remover pads. Two part treatment, plaster saturated with salysilic acid, then protective cushioned plaster on top. Corns in between toes are v painful, this will work within a few days.

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Mon 26-Sep-11 21:48:08

What width fitting is she measuring as?
Have you tried Hush Puppies kids range, DN has feet like doorstops, bless her, wears HP's.

popgoestheweezel Mon 26-Sep-11 21:55:16

I've looked at corn removing things but anything I can find with any active ingredients like salicylic acid are not suitable for children.
She measures as a 13.5 G, but even though the fitter went up to a 1.5 G they were still tight on her toes. The fitter said she couldn't go any bigger else they would fall off.

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Mon 26-Sep-11 22:09:05

Go ask your doc about the use of SA on her. Lots of these things are not licenced for over the counter use but can be used under the care of a doc.
Did they not try an H width fitting? Seems the next logical choice.

popgoestheweezel Tue 27-Sep-11 10:55:06

They said that G was the widest they had as we were looking for some weekend shoes for her. The fitter didn't suggest we tried an H. I've checked online and they do Hs but they're only available in a few school styles.

CMOTdibbler Tue 27-Sep-11 13:36:10

Try an independant shoe shop - ds's feet are wider than an H, and they find shoes for him. Ricosta, Ecco, and Geox are good fits for ds, but a Startrite H in some styles work

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Tue 27-Sep-11 13:41:19

I have issues with Clarks, they seem to try and push you to accept a poor second fit rather than leave it and get a better fit elsewhere. These are our childrens growing feet, disgraceful really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now