Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6yr old vomiting

(5 Posts)
lookout Mon 26-Sep-11 07:35:54

I know we're lucky to have got to this age without any vomiting ever, but it does mean I don't have a clue what to do! Ds was up in the night being sick, dozed for a few hours, then this morning anything he eats/drinks comes right back up again. He has no temperature and no other symptoms.

What am I supposed to do?

larrygrylls Mon 26-Sep-11 09:16:19

Vomiting is a real bore and (tends to) look a lot more serious than it is.

Offer just fluids to begin with, ideally something like Dioralite, but, if he hates that, plain water is fine. When he is hungry, start him off on plain food like dry toast and bananas and see how it goes. You only need to be concerned if he becomes dehydrated. You can tell this by absence of any weeing or pinching the skin on the back of his hand and seeing how long it takes to go back. In a 6 year old, it should be pretty instantaneous. If it takes a while, then take him to A&E.....but generally vomiting is not serious and self resolves.

Our two have both vomited this morning, no fever, so it must be something going around.

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Sep-11 09:22:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Sep-11 09:23:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lookout Mon 26-Sep-11 09:26:56

Thanks for the advice. He's just had a few sips of water and they came right back up. He hasn't been to the toilet since 2am, I will check back of hand now. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now