Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old with bad breath

(10 Posts)
suzikettles Sun 25-Sep-11 21:57:49

I've recently noticed (in the last few days) that ds's breath is not great. His teeth are brushed twice a day and I've had a look - no evidence of anything obvious decay-wise in his mouth.

Anyone come across this?

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 25-Sep-11 22:06:45

Sore throat? Tonsils?

suzikettles Sun 25-Sep-11 22:16:56

I've tried to get a look at his tonsils because I suffered badly from enlarged tonsils and adenoids when I was a child (finally had them removed at 13). There's no redness and he says nothing's sore.

I will take him to the doctor obv if it goes on.

sprinkles77 Sun 25-Sep-11 22:22:47

1. Is the brushing thorough? Checking properly means using disclosing tablets as well as brushing the tongue. Flossing would be ideal, but probably not realistic in a 4 year old.

2. take him to a dentist to exclude tooth decay and gingivitis.

3. Recent respiratory infections can cause bad breath: coughs and colds, chest infections, sinus infections, and yes tonsillitis, especially if chronic.

4. digestive upset can cause halitosis too: reflux, frequent vomiting and even constipation. Obviously diet has an influence too as with adults.

5. a very dry mouth can also cause halitosis: if he's done lots of sport etc and not drunk enough, if he breathes through his mouth, if he is taking any medications that make his mouth dry.

HTH

bulby Sun 25-Sep-11 22:26:03

Bad breath is the sure sign dd has a cold/throat infection. It could knock you flat sometimes!

suzikettles Sun 25-Sep-11 22:28:22

Brushing is pretty thorough. I still do it for him and let him have a go himself either before or after I do it myself.

We've got a routine dentist appointment in 2 weeks so will ask her then.

No recent colds, but he has a tendency to breathe through his mouth (as did I until I had my tonsils/adenoids removed) which I guess would make his mouth dry. This is a new thing though.

Thanks for all the ideas. I guess it's got to be one of them.

mousymouse Sun 25-Sep-11 22:31:14

my ds gets bad breath when he is not drinking enough. sometime I have to remind him or he would only drink very little.

HSMM Sun 25-Sep-11 22:33:27

Mouth breathing is a common cause of bad breath.

suzikettles Sun 25-Sep-11 22:35:15

Hmm, thanks. He's not a massive drinker and as I'm not either I don't tend to push it. I'll try to get him to up the liquids for a few days and see if that make a difference.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Sep-11 22:40:06

Yes, DS (4) has this too and I ave been meaning to start a thread. On and off he's had it for a while but worse when he has a cold. He was at the dentist in June/July time, all fine.
he doesn't drink much either, esp if playing, I am constantly reminding him to drink water. Might try to up that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now