Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Repeated ear infections

(6 Posts)
mrsshears Sat 24-Sep-11 21:16:14

my dd is 5 and seems to have constant ear infections,the last two have been middle ear infections and we were advised to use only pain relief as antibiotics would not work.
Its now getting to the stage where dd's general life is being affected as she seems to always have painful ears,dd also becomes upset at loud noises and says they really hurt her ears.Is there anything we can do to prevent these infections?

HattiFattner Sat 24-Sep-11 21:22:03

do you have any family history of cows milk allergy? DS1 had horrible and constant ear infections. We were advised to cut all dairy - and within 2 weeks, we could see a massive improvement. After a couple of years, he was able to tolerate dairy again.

Worth a try?

dancer13 Sat 24-Sep-11 21:27:20

You talk about your DD being in pain but I am wondering how her hearing is?

My DD had lots of ear infections plus glue ear which brought her hearing down. I found that whether antibiotics were given sometimes depended on which GP we saw. If inside her ear looked very red then she was usually given antibiotics even if she was not in pain.

ShowOfHands Sat 24-Sep-11 21:27:35

Has she seen an ENT doc?

DD gets lots of ear infections and it's her age. I was the same, as was dh. I grew out of it and dh had grommets and a couple of other procedures. I'm hoping dd will grow out of it.

We've had some success with warmed olive oil helping her ears to drain.

mrsshears Sat 24-Sep-11 22:15:03

Thanks for your replies.

hatti dd doesnt really have a great deal of cows milk in her diet.

dancer my dd's teacher commented that when dd speaks she has a loud voice,this was during a conversation about dd becoming upset at loud noises at school and complainig that they hurt her ears(dd is gifted and a little bit on the spectrum somewhere i feel so this could be a factor too).

dd's ears are always very red when the gp has looked at them.

showofhands I'm going to request an ENT referral at dd's gp apt later this week.

DeWe Sun 25-Sep-11 00:16:03

Ds (age 4) has had ear infections since 3 months old except when he has grommets in. He's on his second set. The first set worked brilliantly, he stopped the cycle of ear infections every 10 days, and he could hear. The second set went in last April and he's had no infections since, but I'm not totally convinced his hearing is where it should be, although it may be permanent damage due to about 8 burst ear drums last winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now