Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sickness and fennel tea?

(7 Posts)
pinkyp Sat 24-Sep-11 10:16:05

quick question can i give my baby some fennel tea in cool boiled water? he has a sickness bug and i think it might help his tummy. Twinnings fennel tea btw thank u

ZhenXiang Sat 24-Sep-11 10:20:33

How old is your baby, if under six months then I would suggest carrying on with breastfeeds or formula only, if over then it will be ok.

LIZS Sat 24-Sep-11 10:21:10

Very weak is used widely in Europe, you can get a blend for babies. I'm not sure it will be any more benefiicial that continuing feeds though, depending on age of baby, but I have used it on dc as toddlers.

pinkyp Sat 24-Sep-11 10:27:14

he's 9 months, hasnt kept anything down yet so i'm just thinking of what to try, water, bf, doesnt want food. Ingrediants just say fennel seed.

ZhenXiang Sat 24-Sep-11 15:49:42

Sorry not to reply sooner, internet went down.

If he is not keeping anything down I would say breastfeeding best way to go, it provides all the sugars and salts he will need plus fluid.

If he has a really high temperature/fever then you may also want to offer some watered down fruit juice or fennel tea with a small amount of sugar added to stop him getting dehydrated.

Keep a look out for the signs of dehydration, you may also want to try dioralyte or oral rehydration suspension given in small amount using a syringe (if you have one).

When my 2.4 year old DD was 20 months she had bad 'flu vomited everything up and I breastfed every two hours for 5 days plus some watered down juice. I went from feeding once a day and my supply increased to manage so do not worry if you need to feed more.

They can survive a long time on just breastmilk so try not to worry too much.

pinkyp Sun 25-Sep-11 14:03:43

Thank u, stupid gp said to starve him exept water. 10 mins of him sobbing/ latching on to my skin in desperation I thought sod gp and fed him. It did all come back up a hour after tho but I hoped some stayed down

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Sep-11 20:27:40

Breastmilk is the best thing for them when they are sick so ignore your GP as far as that is concerned! The advice is usually give water instead of formula/cows milk (over 1) for a stomach bug but bm is fine. It gives them comfort as well as keeping their fluid and sugar levels up. I hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now