Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 3 year old smells of mackerel

(17 Posts)
EllieG Thu 22-Sep-11 22:47:52

It's just started a few days ago - a sort of lingering odour - I notice it more at night when am cuddling up to her to say goodnight - her mouth/hands smell fishy. I thought she might have a urinary infection but her vagina doesn't smell, it's her skin it seems. I googled it and now worried she has fish odour syndrome - DH says I am being silly and that it's her toothpaste. Does anyone know anything about this?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 23-Sep-11 09:39:07

I've never heard of a fishy toothpaste. What age can this syndrome be diagnosed from? Presumably, and forgive my ignorance those who suffer from it, it would be present from birth?

susiedaisy Fri 23-Sep-11 09:42:38

There is a condition that makes a person smell fishy I watched a programme about it a couple of years ago, can't for the life of me remember the name of the programme or the condition but it does exist.

susiedaisy Fri 23-Sep-11 09:43:41

Oh sorry I reread your post and see you've been googling info

Thumbwitch Fri 23-Sep-11 09:54:27

does this sound like it might be helpful?

Thumbwitch Fri 23-Sep-11 09:58:31

Only other question, that I'm sure you've already discounted, is do you give her a multivitamin/mineral supplement that contains fish oil?

Next silly questino - she hasn't got a goldfish, has she?

EllieG Fri 23-Sep-11 23:20:11

No, no fish oils. I've never heard of fishy toothpaste either. Thanks for the link thumbwitch I will have a read.

EllieG Sat 24-Sep-11 21:57:35

I'm an idiot. Fish oils. I've been giving her omega3 chewy orange things for the last few days - dur! Of course they're made of bloody fish oil aren't they? Oh I am very stoopid blush

Only clicked into place tonight when she was munching and I thought oo that smell's back again. Silly Ellie. Thanks Thumbwitch mystery solved grin

susiedaisy Sat 24-Sep-11 22:05:42

oh good i am pleased for you that it is fish tabs and not the body odour thing, you must be relieved

sneezecakesmum Sat 24-Sep-11 22:11:11

Elli - are you having a blonde day? grin This thread really made me lol

JarOfHearts Sat 24-Sep-11 22:12:26

Mackerel... grin

Thumbwitch Sun 25-Sep-11 00:53:34

oh Ellie - that made me PMSL!! Bless you, glad it's sorted out anyway grin

peasandlove Sun 25-Sep-11 01:13:02

great thread grin

EllieG Sun 25-Sep-11 08:48:18

Glad I provided some amusement anyway! Told DH and he nearly wet himself.
grin

Grumpla Sun 25-Sep-11 08:50:15

AIBU to giggle at this thread?!?

I'm sure you can't be the only person this has happened to... grin

Knackeredmother Sun 25-Sep-11 08:52:58

Ha ha! That's classic!

EllieG Sun 25-Sep-11 22:04:46

No giggle away - I am a terrible, terrible hypochondriac and clearly have munchausen's by proxy or something. Thank god the penny dropped before I took her to the GP though as had been planning on doing that on monday blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now