Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Permanent teeth coming in before baby teeth falling out?

(11 Posts)
Lougle Wed 21-Sep-11 19:31:54

DD1 is 5.9. Today, I have noticed that one of her lower front incisors has a tooth erupting behind it. The baby tooth isn't wobbly in the slightest.

She has slightly unusual dentition - we are not sure if it is because of her SN, or if it is just her, IYSWIM.

I read a blog from an American dentist, who says that children in this situation need the baby tooth removed by a dentist. Is that the done thing in the UK, or do they tend to watch and wait a bit more?

yummytummy Wed 21-Sep-11 19:39:08

hi lougle, dentist here. yes thats fairly common. but you are right we generally watch and wait. the permanent tooth usually drifts forward and deciduous tooth becomes wobbly. if it is really stuck after a while then yes may need extraction. also not necessarily due to sn! hth x

strictlovingmum Wed 21-Sep-11 19:41:34

You read it right, our DD 5.1 had two of baby teeth removed by the dentist, three weeks ago with no problems, it didn't hurt so she says.
P.S our regular NHS dentist wanted to wait till her appointment, end of this month, but she complained to of pain under those wobbly teeth, there was a bit of infection going on already, so we have taken her private £36 for both, good luck.

Lougle Wed 21-Sep-11 19:52:34

Thank you smile

We will watch and wait, then, as she doesn't even have a wobble on.

sprinkles77 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:12:23

Another dentist: agree with the watch and wait. I have seen many children like this and all have resolved (i.e. baby teeth fallen out) by themselves. Obviously I don't know what your DC's SNs are, but having teeth out is difficult for all of us, and more so when our ability to understand and cope are hampered, so would definitely monitor rather than jump in and treat. Different matter if there is pain though.

thirtysomething Wed 21-Sep-11 20:12:48

All DS' teeth have followed this pattern so far and we have just waited till the baby teeth have fallen out - dentist is fine with this and there has never been any discussion around pulling them out.

kando Wed 21-Sep-11 20:23:21

We have same problem with dd3 who's 5.7. Her adult teeth have grown in behind the bottom front two teeth and are now almost taller (?) than the baby teeth, and her baby teeth are showing no signs of falling out! Took her to our dentist last week who said that he would rather wait to see what happens and check again next visit in 6 months time. He also said that one of the reasons he was reluctant to extract the baby teeth is that numbing that area of the mouth is extremely painful. So she has to forcibly wobble her teeth to try and make them fall out!

TheOriginalFAB Wed 21-Sep-11 20:25:12

All my children have had some of their second teeth start to come through before the baby tooth was even loose. It isn't a problem.

chocolateshoes Wed 21-Sep-11 20:26:48

DS had an adult tooth growing behind his milk tooth a few weeks after his 6th birthday in June. Today he announced his front tooth was finally wobbly. So it has taken almost 3 months for the baby tooth to start to show signs of coming out. No pain so far.

AllDirections Wed 21-Sep-11 20:37:53

DD2 is 11 and has only lost 7 of her baby teeth. She's got more big teeth than that and they've come through all over the place. She presently has 2 double sets and they've been like that for more than a year! She had 3 baby teeth taken out, 2 of them because she couldn't close her mouth properly due to 2 double sets at the front.

We're still waiting and watching too.

Lougle Wed 21-Sep-11 20:56:40

Don't you just love MN, great advice in minutes smile

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now