Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can we start a new asthma support thread now dreaded winter season is looming?

(988 Posts)
Knackeredmother Wed 21-Sep-11 09:26:41

I can't seem to find the old support thread. I lurked on it during many long, lonely and frightening nights and admissions with ds over the past year and a half.
My ds is 21 months now, was hospitalized at 8 weeks severe bronchiolitis (really thought he would die) then every 3-4 weeks since whenever he gets a cold. No symptoms in between colds but a wet, crackly chest with some wheeze with every cold. Plus of course the dreaded tracheal tug and sternal recession that heralds an admission.
It is all so bloody draining and heartbreaking!
We are just starting with a new bout today after a whole 8 weeks of being well. I am debating whether to call in sick for my nightshift tonight or leave poor hubby with an inevitable hospital admission AND our 4 year old!
Anyway, would be good to hear from others going through similar so we can all support each other ( or direct me to the original support thread!)

Sirzy Fri 23-Nov-12 10:59:43

If there is no improvement after 3 days on the pred then I would be going back to A and E. Is she also having regular ventolin?

Ali, hope he is ok today.

DS was 3 last week and had a lovely day. He has spent the last week singing happy birthday to himself!

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 23-Nov-12 13:22:25

absolutely take her back to A & E if you're worried, and believe me, no one will ever tell you that you are wasting their time!

She may need anti biotics, or she may be absolutely fine, but one thing I've learned with having an asthmatic child is that it always always better to consult a medical person if in doubt.

lollipoppi Fri 23-Nov-12 15:00:35

Party, I would take her back to the hospital!

DS was kept in Monday night as needed oxygen when he fell asleep, came home Tuesday afternoon, he is still no better, very very wheezy sad I think I should maybe be taking my own advise above!?

alibobins Fri 23-Nov-12 16:48:07

Hope you manage to get your dd sorted sad I agree with others who say after 3 days pred you should see some improvement.
Ds2 is still struggling with a high temp but pretty sure it is throat related nit chest off to the gp at 6.00

Sirzy Fri 23-Nov-12 17:28:15

Hi iLove - how are things with you?

Lolli - hope he is ok x

Ali - hope it is 'just' his throat.

cedmonds Fri 23-Nov-12 18:21:15

Alli hope he is ok.
Ilove how is things with you?
Ds has got pneumonia they think its viral he is at home at the moment but has got to go in if his stats drop etc.sad

Sirzy Fri 23-Nov-12 18:22:40

Oh no cedmonds, hope it clears quickly.

alibobins Fri 23-Nov-12 20:10:35

Well ds2 has got more antibiotics sad his throat is so swollen they spoke to the oncall paed who suggested steriods and if no improvement in 24 hours we have got to take him in.
Cedmonds so sorry for your ds hopefully you manage to stay at home but sometimes the hospital really is the best place to be

LargeGlassofRed Fri 23-Nov-12 20:29:20

Oh dear sound like our little ones having a rough time this week sad
Might be heading in later dt2 had 4 puffs at 7.15 sats at 8 - 86 sad given another 5 and risen to 90, fast asleep but breathing very fast. Temp been hovering around 38 dispite neurophen and calpol.

PartyFops Fri 23-Nov-12 20:48:01

Update: well after typing up my post I read it through and decided to take her to the GP, he referred us up to the hospital. Saw the pead, who examined her and sent her for a chest xray. The xray showed a number of shadows on both lungs. So they said that she has a chest infection and diagnosed asthma.

I have been given some anti biotics for her and some montelukast (sp?) to take for 3 months, as well as using her brown inhaler twice a day for 3 months and the ventolin when needed.

I may need some handholding along with you all as I know nothing about asthma. I worry, because I don't know whether I will know when its time to get medical help, paed said when the 6 puffs of ventolin doesnt last 4 hours ( I think - there was so much to take in today). Some of you say that you checks your dc stats, so did you just buy yourself a monitor. I dont think i could do that as they had real problems getting a correct reading today, it went from 79 -93, which worried the doctors at one point!

Also, am I able to use ibuprofen as thats the only thing that seems to help when she is teething?

Thanks for all your help.

Sirzy Fri 23-Nov-12 20:48:18

Sounds nasty Ali, hopefully things improve soon.

Large, hope in improves soon

alibobins Fri 23-Nov-12 21:36:31

Party glad you've been seen I've always given my two nurofen but they both have been given it in a hospital setting.
Ds2 is currently propped up next to me grunting away sad you can actually here him gargling away at the back of his throat I hope they hurry up and take his tonsils out sad

Sirzy Fri 23-Nov-12 21:42:12

Glad you got her checked Party.

DS can't have ipbrobrufen, it triggers asthma attacks in him but according the the nurses at the hospital that is actually pretty rare. If she has had it until now without a problem I wouldn' worry too much.

Poor thing Ali, did they give you any idea how long the wait would be?

alibobins Fri 23-Nov-12 21:52:32

They said he's on the cancelation list but at the moment looking like January sad he needs to spend a night in hdu after so can't do it over Christmas/New Year. I suppose if he does end up in this weekend it might rush things along.
It is his birthday in just over 2 weeks so want him well for then.

Sirzy Fri 23-Nov-12 22:03:32

Bless him, fingers crossed he manages a healthy birthday and christmas x

cedmonds Fri 23-Nov-12 22:14:48

Hope he is ok alli. It's horrid when u r waiting to hear dates for ops. Hope he gets it done soon.

alibobins Sat 24-Nov-12 07:17:45

Party how's dd?
Ds2 had a better night than I expected noisy but settled. I on the other hand spent most of the night listening to him gasp and grunt sad
He seems settled so going to see what today brings
Ds1 had a little attack last night nothing that a nebuliser didn't sort it's very foggy here and that seems to always affect him.

Sirzy Sat 24-Nov-12 07:19:58

I know what you mean about the sleep. Any sign of illness and that's me sleeping with one ear open, a full nights undisturbed sleep would be lovely!

Glad DS2 seems ok, hope it was just a one off attack for DS1 x

cedmonds Sat 24-Nov-12 09:58:19

Ds has stayed at home his stats are hovering around 92 but are coming up with nebs. He is currently playing a little bit hacking away so cant feel that bad. Its horrid when they are so used to not being able to breath that they just carry on.
Hope DS 2 stays settled Alli and it was only an one off for ds1. The fog realy effects ds as well.
How is DD Party?

PartyFops Sat 24-Nov-12 12:46:10

DD seems much more herself today, her breathing is still very noisy, but she is eating well and if anything a bit hyper. I have just learnt not to google this as I googled "shadows on lung" and was nearly sick when I read all about cancer/tb etc. But we have only been given 5 days of anti biotics so i'm guessing the paed didn't think it was too serious.

She has worn herself out this morning and is now having a nap.

I hope you all start to have a slightly easier time of it soon.

Sirzy Sat 24-Nov-12 19:02:47

How is everyone this evening?

LargeGlassofRed Sun 25-Nov-12 03:37:51

Dt2 still struggling think I'll have to take him to gp tomorrow, sats have been ok ish during the day 94/95 but last two nights hovering at 88/90.
Temp been pretty consistent for last 24 hrs too.

Sirzy Sun 25-Nov-12 08:53:49

Hope he is a bit brighter today Large.

DS is at that "is there/isn't there something wrong stage" very lethargic this morning and getting out of breath going upstairs (PITA as I have to carry him up each time he needs a wee!)

Hopefully its just a bad morning rather than anything else!

alibobins Sun 25-Nov-12 09:45:43

Sirzy ds2 stands at the bottom waiting for us to carrying him up he's just lazy smile hope ds picks up soon
Large hope u get seen today maybe take a bag with you sad with sats like that they may keep him in for monitoring
Ds2 is doing so much better I did take him up to the ward yesterday just for a check and they said as long as he can swallow his saliva then he should be okay.

LargeGlassofRed Sun 25-Nov-12 09:57:25

Thanks all, he's perked up alot again this morning, sats 95 so stilll holding off and praying he's through the worse.
Unfortunately they've given it me too, so feel like death, just waiting for DH to get out if the shower then heading back to bed, if we do need to go later then have to get some sleep.
Really hope all the little ones start improving too,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now