Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can we start a new asthma support thread now dreaded winter season is looming?

(988 Posts)
Knackeredmother Wed 21-Sep-11 09:26:41

I can't seem to find the old support thread. I lurked on it during many long, lonely and frightening nights and admissions with ds over the past year and a half.
My ds is 21 months now, was hospitalized at 8 weeks severe bronchiolitis (really thought he would die) then every 3-4 weeks since whenever he gets a cold. No symptoms in between colds but a wet, crackly chest with some wheeze with every cold. Plus of course the dreaded tracheal tug and sternal recession that heralds an admission.
It is all so bloody draining and heartbreaking!
We are just starting with a new bout today after a whole 8 weeks of being well. I am debating whether to call in sick for my nightshift tonight or leave poor hubby with an inevitable hospital admission AND our 4 year old!
Anyway, would be good to hear from others going through similar so we can all support each other ( or direct me to the original support thread!)

sillywmama Fri 30-Sep-11 09:34:51

hi HattiFattner, I hope your DS feels better at home today.

HattiFattner Fri 30-Sep-11 10:01:02

thank you!

He's had 5 lots of ventolin since 5 am, so we are off to the GP at noon, watching him until then. Think it might be an infection brewing as he was really clammy and hot overnight.

HattiFattner Fri 30-Sep-11 12:43:52

steroids & penicillin sad Ahh you have to love Autumn!

sillywmama Fri 30-Sep-11 14:43:12

bless! Poor thing. I hope it's a short illness. I know it's not asthma related, but my wee DS has just had his MMR and the other two jabs (blush I don't actually know what the other two were!!) and is feeling rubbish today. Fever, no appetite, exhausted. Makes a change to have a sleepless night that ISN'T about asthma. As a result of the fever, the only thing he will accept for fluids today is formula... so much for dairy free!! Start again tomorrow I think...

roliepolie Sun 02-Oct-11 13:00:55

Hi girls thanks for the welcome to the thread..i think we all need a bit of support with the constant worry with our los.Was reading all the messages and was wondering have any of you had your los on the singulair sachets or tablets for the older ones.I had dd on them last yr ,now she still got a chest infection but in between seemed symptom free.She was taken off them as doc thought they were causing nightmares but i put her back on them last night as she has had a very bad few nights with her breathing.Anyone any experience with this medication i looked it up myself on the net and think its the worse thing i did.Consultant said you will find negative things about all meds if you google them.She seemed to have a better night last night so thinking of keeping her on them during winter mths.Sorry abt long post but its all just so confusing trying to get a happy medium with all the meds.

elmofan Sun 02-Oct-11 13:31:21

Hello . Is it ok if i join in ?

My dd is 5yrs old and has Asthma , eczema & hay fever (the whole package) but is having recurrent chest infections every 3 weeks and is put on Antibiotics and Steroid tablets along with her inhalers every month for the last two years . No improvement at all . Going back to our GP tomorrow as her chest is in bits again .

Sorry all of you are going through this too .sad

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 15:52:28

elmofan, as for a referral to a specialist...that is too much for a wee one!

Mine is still struggling - not needing ventolin now but is awful colour and breathless all the time. We are playing the "wait and see" game.

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 15:53:00

ask [bush]

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 15:53:33

gaarh! ASK blush

Double blush

elmofan Sun 02-Oct-11 16:18:08

Thanks hatti We had a referral to a consultant last year but he just told us the same as our GP "that dd should grow out of these chest infections" sad
But EVERY 3 weeks she's back on steroid tablets & antibiotics . I wonder could i buy an nebuliser to use at home , i will ask my doctor tomorrow .

Fingers crossed for your little one x

Sirzy Sun 02-Oct-11 20:54:07

We were told they only give home nebs to really severe asthma, as normally if they need nebs they need to be in hospital (or at least at gp)

Sounds to me like its the same infection just not clearing. I would be pushing for a longer course of antibiotics (perhaps even all winter) to make sure it clears fully.

elmofan Sun 02-Oct-11 21:06:34

Could it be the same infection lasting for just over two
years now though? shock
My Gp asked me did i have a nebuliser at home while i was
at his surgery three weeks ago, but didn't mention it again after
i said no.
Thanks i'll ask about a longer course of antib's.

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 21:09:39

do you think I should be worried?

DS is on amoxicillin and prenisolone, has been since friday lunchtime. But still feels very tight and wheezy. He's had a couple of puffs of ventolin tonight (on top of normal upped dose of flixotide and serevent). Peak flow is down but not drastically (from 400 to 340) ... WWYD - just keep on with the ventolin or down to after hours for a neb?

Bohica Sun 02-Oct-11 21:16:23

Is he settled and just sounding tight and wheezy? When did you last give the top up and do you think it helped?

<lots of questions emotioncon>

elmofan Sun 02-Oct-11 21:17:04

Go with your instincts Hatti sad if you are worried
go to doctor / hospital now.
How old is your ds?

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 21:23:16

hes coming up for 12. calling GP now as he had 3rd dose ventolin in last 30 mins and he is upstairs coughing and breathless

Sirzy Sun 02-Oct-11 21:25:49

I would give the full 10 puffs then see what happens but like others have said if in doubt get him checked out.

Hope he is ok x

elmofan Mon 03-Oct-11 07:05:15

How is your ds Hatti? hope he is doing ok now? X

HattiFattner Mon 03-Oct-11 07:25:51

morning - spent the evening in A&E - hes now on reducing regime of ventolin/atrovent. Snoring upstairs, and so tired he hasnt actually woken up to do his inhalers overnight. WIll be building a spreadsheet thismorning to work out when he needs which meds! Surely theres a market for an app for this (goes to work out spec for app).

Sirzy Mon 03-Oct-11 10:00:36

An app like that would be fantastic. I end up with a peice of paper with everything he is taking written down with the times they are due!

roliepolie Mon 03-Oct-11 11:04:12

hattifattner sorry to hear your ds not doing well..hopefully he will be a bit better today hate those visits to A&E as soon as my dd sees the doors she goes mad and she only not as damp here today so maybe have a better day

roliepolie Mon 03-Oct-11 11:06:23

sorry hattifattner meant to ask how do you measure the peak flow

Sirzy Mon 03-Oct-11 11:44:17

Ds loves going to hopsital bless him! He thinks the nurses are great - until they give him Nebs then he hates them.

Peak flow is only done when they are old enough to understand and co-operate!

elmofan Mon 03-Oct-11 12:29:44

Hi everyone , We are just back from the doctors with DD . GP has changed her inhalers to salmeterol/fluticasone and salbutamol and ventolin . I mentioned about the antibiotics not working (thanks sirzy) so he has given her a two week course of Augmentin Duo antibiotics to see if that clears her infections up (both her lungs are crackling and her chest is very wheezy) . If not then he is talking about starting her on a tablet for her Asthma along with the inhalers .
Her colouring is awful today , very dark circles under her eyes .

How is your ds feeling now Hatti ? poor thing must be exhausted sad x

HattiFattner Mon 03-Oct-11 14:24:49

we're just back from A&E again sad DS was very tight and wheezy depite 6x ventolin at 8:00am, peak flow down to 320, so off we pottered....all morning in a fecking busy A&E* and saw paeds consultant....of course when triage nurse and junior dr listened to his chest at 10am, he was wheezy all over. Xray was clear. By time Paeds consult called, he was fine hmm - magic white coat anyone?

She's put it down to a viral infection. He has a snotty nose, and post nasal drip is triggering wheeze. Plus she says much of it is in his head (he had major attack and 2 days hospital in January) - as she was very kind and said that kids panic. Gave us some good advice on when to bring him in, and also said that Drs can panic too and start him on loads of different meds for belt and braces cover, where really he might not have needed much of it.

So at least we are home, and he is looking better and has been reassured by a nice dr.

* A&E: A family there - mum, 2x sisters (one in her PJs - she was about 18) toddler and baby. Mother is having a big shouty issue with the nurse because she wants to see a dr NOW as her baby might have meningitis.....hmm this would be the 9mo baby that is beaming at everyone, eating cheesy wotsits and chugging on her bottle quite happily then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now